Advanced search

Help with employees tax code please

(4 Posts)
nicegirl73 Sun 04-Sep-16 07:43:49

Hi all, I've employed two students. They haven't ben earning any money and are not going to earn above their personal allowance so needn't pay any tax.

They have filled in the form which replaced the P46 but neither have a tax code and the HMRC keeps telling me I've got the wrong department every time I've tried phoning, and so far neither of my employees have rang up and gotten it themselves.
Does anyone know of a taxcode I can use for this? I really need to pay them.
And I do realise a taxcode is meant to be personal but they were only summer help and I don't think it really matters as they will pay no tax anyway.

IceMaiden73 Mon 05-Sep-16 21:39:07

I would suggest you use a payroll bureau to deal with your payroll if you don't understand how to deal with new starters

Badbadbunny Tue 06-Sep-16 11:14:36

You need to follow through the HMRC new employee webpages which will tell you what tax code to use based upon which boxes have been ticked by the new employees on the new version of the old P46:-

LunaLoveg00d Tue 06-Sep-16 17:10:42

It's been a few years now but my rule of thumb was without a P45 and no work in the tax year the code would be the standard one : 1100L.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now