Need new laptop and printer - what do you use?

(5 Posts)
KanyesVest Mon 29-Aug-16 22:36:57

I use it mainly for word, exel, powerpoint, and internet research MN. I have office 365. Ideally it should be light, as I work from home a lot but I need to be able to lug it with me. I've had a workhorse of an Asus for the last 6 years which has been great, but it's getting slow and the battery (despite having recently bought a new one) is crap. I was looking at a HP Pavillion tablet/laptop hybrid which is a bit fancy shmancy, or I could go for a basic and functional Asus again. As it will be my main work station, I need the 15 inch screen, but anything bigger tends to be too cumbersome to cart around with me.

And once I've decided on a laptop, I need a printer. Mine is about 10 years old and has given up the will to connect since I was forced to upgraded to windows 10. Any suggestions there would be great, I'm utterly clueless. I have very limited printing requirements and can go to client offices for large jobs.

Any suggestions or advice on above would be greatly appreciated!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 30-Aug-16 08:58:17

I have had Toshiba Satelites prior to my new HP Pavillion. I wish I'd stuck with a Toshiba, my old one seemed quicker.

Stores generally tell you the weight. I have always opted for a normal laptop as opposed to the 'book' type that came out a few years ago.

I have a HP printer. Went for a c£350 one. Don't know the model as away - helpful!

The ink is £££ but it lasts. I wanted quick and colour printing.

I bought both on sites using Quidco cashback. One was ebuyer I think.

misscph1973 Tue 30-Aug-16 09:09:55

I have a very basic Acer laptop, 3 years now, it cost about £400 on Amazon. I am very happy with it, but obviously it's not a fancy Mac. I suggest you get the best specs you can afford. I would go on to Amazon and buy a well reviewed laptop. Use the filters to get what you want.

I have an HP Deskjet printer that worked really badly (cordless, always lost the connection) for years, but now it works fine. I suggest you get a well reviewed basic printer on Amazon.

KanyesVest Tue 30-Aug-16 15:56:58

Thanks both. I wouldn't buy a laptop on Amazon (I want to be able to drop it in somewhere if anything goes wrong!) but I hadn't thought to look at reviews there. I get completely bamboozled by all the tech jargon and end up wanting to put my head under a pillow and forget I even thought about getting a new one I am a grown up about it all. I've found what looks like a pretty good HP, so off to google reviews now.

lasermum Tue 30-Aug-16 23:51:39

I strongly recommend buying your laptop from John Lewis. The after sales service is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now