Setting up an online store

(8 Posts)
Thecatgotmytongue Mon 08-Aug-16 09:58:54

I'm setting up my new website with an online store, using a free website builder. Unfortunately for more than 5 products they charge £29 per month to host the store.

Are there other website builders free or cheaper than this for an online store?

Thanks.

redhat Mon 08-Aug-16 10:00:28

That doesn't sound expensive at all

Thecatgotmytongue Mon 08-Aug-16 10:28:45

I guess it is when you're expecting it to be free! wink

user1469700776 Thu 11-Aug-16 18:23:36

that's not expensive, neither cheap. I'd suggest

one.com
squarespace.com (enter discount code GIMME10 for 10% off)
Or 123reg

If you need to make some quick cash, £500? Maybe put it towards your new website - check out Profit Squirrel goo.gl/nGahYD

Their website comes with a £500 guarantee too!

jumpjumpformylove Fri 12-Aug-16 20:27:08

Try Tictail. Free (unless you add your own domain, then it's £1 a month) and you can add unlimited products.

Thecatgotmytongue Sat 13-Aug-16 02:25:28

I've looked at Tictail but it seems to be a collection of shops similar to etsy ... I need a website builder tho.

user1470992026 Tue 16-Aug-16 10:50:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

olderthanyouthink Mon 29-Aug-16 21:03:57

This is a bit late but £29/month is quite a lot.

I'm a web developer and have worked with a sole trader and massive multinational companies... I'm pretty sure none of them pay more than £10/month. I think the sole trader pays around £5 and the the big companies hosting provider is freakin' awesome (their support staff are the most helpful people ever).

If you're just going for a stand alone store, I highly recommend going your own way and not using website builders. They end up charging loads for what is essentially a few extra files/ rows in a database.

It is possible to make a website without touching the code now, but you won't have the same level of customisation.

The sole trader I made a site for:
- Wordpress - FREE
- WooCommerce (adds the shop part of the site) - FREE
- Payment gateway - £0-80
- Domain name - £7/year
- Hosting - £5/month
- Custom theme (done as a freebie to get experience) - POA (difficult to say maybe £700-1000+ but there are 1000's of free themes)

So in theory you can have an online shop for ~£70.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now