Advanced search

self employment & housing benefit

(4 Posts)
Singleblkmum02 Sat 06-Aug-16 13:59:22

i want to start my own business from home part time, how will this affect my housing and council benefit?

lougle Sat 06-Aug-16 14:39:16

It depends on whether you're in a universal credit area. If you are it would probably trigger a move to universal credit, in which case you'd have to prove that you were gainfully self-employed (ie. Doing the usual activities of a self-employed person and receiving money for the goods/services you supply) and after the first year, it would be assumed that you were earning the minimum income floor of approx £1000 per month (35 hours per week at NMW).

If you're not in a UC area, your income will be taken into account against your applicable amount and your benefit will be calculated accordingly.

lougle Sat 06-Aug-16 14:40:40

Having said that, Council tax relief has been devolved now, so each council can set its own rules. Some councils have adopted the UC line despite not yet being a UC area, so will refuse CT relief if the business is not profitable.

Singleblkmum02 Sat 06-Aug-16 14:58:57

im not in a UC area

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now