Talk

Advanced search

Can I have a moan? Proposals...

(4 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 19-May-16 16:52:41

I know it is part of the game...but really fed up with having put lots of work into proposals to then either not hear anything or to chase and then be told "No, thanks" - were you going to bother to tell me!!!>>

I know it is part of the deal of being a freelancer (marketing) but it has just got to me this week. The whole rushing to meet their deadline and then they don't get back etc.

I think the issue is that I am finising a big contract, so I am now actively trying to find new work. Often I am writing proposals mid other projects, so it doesn't matter as much.

I am not sure there is much that can be done but I wondered if anyone has any empathy....

Badbadbunny Sat 21-May-16 08:57:09

I think everyone in business feels your pain. Unfortunately, it's just part and parcel of business and you have to factor in your wasted time in your prices for everyone. It's one of the things that "joe public" doesn't understand when they get quoted what they think are high prices - they don't realise that you don't actually work on chargeable things for 7 hours a day like an employee does,. Obviously, 100 times worse when it's only you and you don't have a salesman or administrator to do some/all of the proposals work for you!

The best you can do is be very picky with potential customers and try to weed out the time wasters before they waste too much of your time. Yes, I know, difficult to do. But it can come with experience. These days, I'd say I engage with less than 10% of people who phone or email me looking for an accountant - most get a generic "no thanks I'm busy" or a "no thanks it's not the kind of work I do" reply when I don't get the good vibes that they're going to be a good client. If their first question is "how much" they're just ringing round for the cheapest - no thanks! Also if they're vague or can't give you any detail - another sure sign of them being a PITA client. Trouble with cheapskates or PITA clients is that they suck the life out of you for little reward, meaning you have less time and energy to look for the quality clients you need.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 25-May-16 07:55:33

Thanks for the reply Bad.

Interesting to hear being selective is working for you. I turned down something this week as it isn't my key skill area.

Feeling less fed up this week.

stepnetter Sun 29-May-16 09:08:54

I know what you mean, I'm in the same boat. Proposals take a huge amount of time and brain space to pull together, plus you have to impress them a bit - but there's no guarantee they won't take your ideas and run with them, without your involvement!
I needed to get a proposal in recently following an initial meeting but didn't have much time to work on it. I had to compromise so sent them an 'outline proposal' as an email rather than providing a 'proper' proposal document. This included a few suggestions of how I'd approach things along with pricing details. If they're genuinely interested I hope it'll be enough to spark their interest. Time will tell...
Just thought it might be an approach to consider, especially as the potential client is busy too so if you can get it all into a page or so they're more likely to give it their attention. Maybe...?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now