Advanced search

Can I run a craft club at home?

(12 Posts)
DelphiniumDoris Thu 19-May-16 08:26:38

I've been doing teacher training after a life in retail and would like to teach children traditional skills as an antidote to the digital age, for well being, confidence and the joy of making.
How many hoops do I need to jump through and how many boxes do I need to tick to do this in everyone's best interests?
I've read that you can't apply for a DBS check for yourself. I rent, so only have contents insurance. Etc etc etc
Can anyone give me any pointers? Many thanks.

DelphiniumDoris Fri 20-May-16 14:19:58

sad hello? Anyone?

fuzzyfozzy Fri 20-May-16 14:25:38

You'd had to think about insurance, as a childminder I have to have PLI.

fuzzyfozzy Fri 20-May-16 14:26:04


fuzzyfozzy Fri 20-May-16 14:26:55

Won't you have a DBS through TT

DelphiniumDoris Fri 20-May-16 14:50:34

Ive done the Award to teaching and training, which isn't a full teacher qualification, it's for teaching adults. Which I'm going to do via evening classes at the local college.
Wanted to do craft club for children in the holidays.
You can't get a DBS as a self employed person. Which is why I wondered how does an individual SE person get checked? I think the customer has to do it!? Which isn't great.

fuzzyfozzy Fri 20-May-16 16:43:10

I'm self employed as a childminder, I've still got an old crb but others have the DBS.

DelphiniumDoris Fri 20-May-16 16:48:01

How have they got a DBS when you can't apply for yourself?

TeaStory Fri 20-May-16 16:49:33

You can get your DBS (it's not CRB) any more through an umbrella organisation.

TeaStory Fri 20-May-16 16:50:00

*(it's not CRB any more)

Bracket in the wrong place.

TeaStory Fri 20-May-16 16:50:25

DelphiniumDoris Fri 20-May-16 17:38:07

You beauty teastory! Now to find an umbrella org in the 1137 that are listed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now