Any freelance trust fundraisers out there?

(19 Posts)
Gretaisbetter Tue 17-May-16 23:27:44

I'm an experienced trust fundraiser, and have been wondering for a while about going freelance.

Are any of you, or have you been, a freelance trust fundraiser? I have so many questions! How do you get work (especially outside of London - I'm not in the capital)? How much do you charge and for what types of work? Is there even work out there? Insurance? Would it work doing it part-time? Are charities more forthcoming with project information when they're paying you by the day?! <hopeful>

I enjoy all aspects of trust fundraising - strategy, research, forecasting, writing compelling bids, report-writing, general stewardship and so on - and am good at it. I've brought in small grants and raised six-figure sums. But in my current role, there's nowhere to go from here - no scope for progressing.

I feel stuck and want to broaden and enrich my career. I'd like to have a go at fundraising for some different causes. And I'd like more flexibility with juggling work around my children, especially when they're sick or it's the school holidays. (Freedom from truly exhausting office politics, low team morale, constantly shifting agendas and unproductive meetings would be good too! grin)

But I could be romanticising here. We absolutely depend on my income - which is very good in the context of the profession and my location - and so it would be a risk to go it alone. But trust fundraising jobs are rare where I live, outside the capital, so simply finding another job isn't much of an option either.

My main concerns are: would there be enough work and can I earn enough (I need at least £1,200 net a month); is freelancing really as flexible as it sounds; and would I knuckle down and not get distracted at home?

Please come and chat to me (on here or off-board) so I'm not just going round in circles talking to myself about this, while doing nothing to change the status quo! Thanks.

Gretaisbetter Wed 18-May-16 21:41:15

Anyone? Shamelessly bumping ...

gottogetdressed Thu 19-May-16 09:37:38

I've PM'd you!

luellabelle Fri 27-May-16 00:34:21

I work with trust fundraisers and I would say that as statutory funding drops trust fundraisers are becoming more in demand. If you've experience of Big lottery, Children in Need, comic relief and other big funds you should be in demand. My fundraisers charge £300 - £350 a day with a few of the really outstanding ones getting £400 a day.

poocatcherchampion Tue 28-Jun-16 17:49:32

I'm looking at doing this freelance too. How are you getting on op?

kenettleton Wed 06-Jul-16 12:00:55

I am, please email me at katynettleton@htomail.co.uk and I may be able to help

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 06-Jul-16 14:41:08

Sorry OP I still haven't replied to your PM message. I think there is enough of a gap.

The key is finding the right sort of client that a) doesn't want to pay on results hmm and b) understand fundraising enough to ensure you get all the info and support you need to produce a good bid.

For anyone reading this there is a good Facebook Group 'Fundraising Chat' which is a mix of in-house & freelancers. Occasionally there are opportunities posted on there. You need to explain your connection to the sector if it isn't obvious from your profile when you request to join. You cannot post direct 'adverts' for your services but you can respond to requests for info about freelancers.

www.facebook.com/groups/1686147658271694/

gottogetdressed Wed 06-Jul-16 16:58:48

Thank Margo - interestingly I heard about that Facebook group at the IoF Convention today too!

I have to ask - I have never (yet) had a client who is looking at payment by results, is this really something you still find happens?

Heykate58 Tue 13-Dec-16 16:12:18

Hi ladies,
I've just come across this thread and have a similar tale to tell...I'm an experienced trust fundraiser who is really at breaking point with my current employment and after YEARS of telling my poor husband that I'm going to quit and do consultancy, I fear now it may actually happen!

So...I've been doing lots of reading and came across this lovely thread. I wondered Greataisbetter - how you got on?

And can anyone please point me in the right direction of the Facebook group please? I can't find it...

Thank you SO much in advance!

gottogetdressed Thu 15-Dec-16 20:51:48

Ahhhh... the Facebook group was getting spammed, so they have made it a hidden/private group - which is why you can't find it. Will PM you!

katynet1 Wed 28-Dec-16 15:37:24

Hi please could you PM me the facebook page too please? I have been trying to find it for the past month and only just seen this post again! thank you so much. Katy

yhpets8 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:37:11

I'm also starting out as a freelancer after 8 years of trust fundraising. Could you please PM me the Facebook page as well? Thanks, really appreciate it!

fundz Sat 31-Dec-16 11:47:22

I am a freelance fundraiser. Happy to answer any questions.

missisbee30 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:27:02

Hi - I hope you don't mind but I've pm'd you asking for the details of that Facebook group too. Many thanks.

slw79 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:36:19

Hi all, I'd be really grateful for the details of the Facebook group too please. I've been a Trust Fundraiser for seven years, the majority of which has been at the same charity so it's definitely time for a change! Many thanks.

Herbivore234 Wed 08-Mar-17 12:51:18

Hi all, I am also a Trust fundraiser of 8 years, thinking about going freelance and trying to figure out how to do it/if it's viable from a financial/family point of view!

I would really value a quick chat with someone who is doing it now if anyone is able to offer help?

And if someone is able to tell me how I can access the "Fundraising Chat" facebook group that would also be great!

And Gretaisbetter, how did you get on?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Ruth84 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:54:18

Hi all. I'd really love the link to that Facebook page if it's still active? And if anyone has any tips of on getting freelance fundraising work I'd love to hear from you! I've been in fundraising for over 6 years but always employed full time. Testing out freelance now!

gottogetdressed Tue 21-Mar-17 10:08:33

The Fundraising Chat Facebook group is still active - if you PM me your email address you use for Facebook I can add you that way (secret group so the only way in is via someone already on it I am afraid). I should be clear that its not about freelancing, its a broad fundraising group a massive remit - although occasionally jobs/opportunities are posted.

Ruth84 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:28:12

Done! Thank you! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now