best way to hire a freelancer for a software development/website project

(8 Posts)
littleoctonauts Fri 29-Apr-16 11:26:22

My husband is trying to find a freelancer to help him out on a software development/website project. We have hired people on Odesk before and not been happy. What is the best way to find someone? Which websites should we use to get quality candidates? Or how can be use Odesk type freelance hiring sites more effectively to get a better calibre candidate?

Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks!

HildurOdegard Fri 29-Apr-16 15:14:06

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

IceMaiden73 Fri 29-Apr-16 19:13:03

He needs to make sure he is paying a decent contractor rate if he's going to get someone who is any good

Try Recruitment Genius

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 29-Apr-16 19:22:56

I would try though LinkedIn. Having freelanced for 5 years experience tells me if you need a committed and good freelancer you pay the going rate.

If price is the issue then peopleperhour can be good but it is often a one off, not a relationship which is might be what you need.

HildurOdegard Fri 29-Apr-16 20:46:37

I was rather abrupt earlier, I'm sorry. I am a software engineer with 20+ years experience and I do web development with a good view on digital marketing.

I look at PPH/Odesk/etc. and I see people want a website built for e.g., 100 quid.

Mine start at around 2500 for a fully-integrated digital marketing system.

Is your husband looking with a sensible budget in mind?

littleoctonauts Sun 01-May-16 00:01:37

Thank you for your replies.

Not looking to pay peanuts- want to pay market rate to get someone who can deliver.

Just need to know where to find a good person, which websites to go to. Planning to research those websites to find out what the market rate would be before posting our own ad.

Many thanks

Hoppinggreen Mon 02-May-16 09:16:02

DH is an IT contractor, he is highly experienced and qualified and earns between £400 and £600 per day ( in The North). He always goes via an agency as do all his Contractor friends rather than directly to a client and would be unlikely to respond to an ad from a small company directly.
Your best bet might be to find an experienced IT developer who is trying to break into Contracting as getting your 1st Contract can be hard so they mght be willing to work for a smaller client for less slightly less than the big boys are paying.
DH has good contacts now but when he started he looked at the usual job sites such as Jobserve - he wouldn't look at pph or odesk

ChalkHearts Tue 03-May-16 06:23:56

Problem is communication.

You need to set up some kind of an iterative contract where your DH gets to look at what is being built - and then change his mind.

Nobody knows what they want before the project starts. And the programmer can't read your DHs mind.

I also agree with the costs being quoted above. Good Programmers (who speak English) cost a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now