Talk

Advanced search

Any wed developer/wordpress freelancers out there?

(11 Posts)
werenotreallyhere Thu 14-Apr-16 11:18:12

Hi, I was a java web developer/programmer/analyst for 11 years, the last 7 for an investment bank. I'm keen to get back working after a few years home with the kids and was looking at retraining into wordpress/php/css etc and hoping to grab some freelance work at home and build that up. Does anyone have tips and hints on the best way to find work/which websites to use to find work etc and how to price up etc? It would be really appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

werenotreallyhere Thu 14-Apr-16 11:19:03

Gah, typo in the title...sorry! web developer obviously...

werenotreallyhere Tue 19-Apr-16 13:47:33

bump just in case.....

MugsLife Tue 19-Apr-16 22:26:48

I'm a designer/developer. I got a great ongoing freelance contract from powertofly.com

werenotreallyhere Wed 20-Apr-16 10:07:28

HI Mugslife, that sounds really interesting, could you tell me a bit more about how it all works? Thanks

lljkk Wed 20-Apr-16 10:31:05

DH is an Ap developer, I dunno what he writes in. Not Java, not perl, um.... some php. Wordpress is below him, I suppose, but he tells me how to do wordpress.

Honestly, you'll hate this, he gets work mostly via word of mouth, friend of a friend. One job was advertised on MN, actually. Another job he got from chatting to someone during our children's swim lessons. He has own website but that's just a token thing. DH only wants to work PT, spends most his days on crazy-long cycle rides.

To learn CSS;s you could do worse than volunteer for 6 months to help a load of charities with their websites; they are all different CSSs, some custom-written, and will give you good feel for what's out there.

We are outside London & I think typical per day rates here in the sticks are £200-£300. We know a local (computer) graphics designer charging £400/day & has too much work on, mind, that's a better gig if you can.

werenotreallyhere Wed 20-Apr-16 11:16:58

thanks lljkk, maybe I should stick to the more hardcore programming! It would probably be more enjoyable for me anyway. That's all really helpful and giving me some good motivation. Thanks again

MugsLife Wed 20-Apr-16 13:40:34

I just applied to a job advertised on there. I think you might have to sign-up to see the jobs. It's for women in tech.

MugsLife Wed 20-Apr-16 13:46:17

Lljkk -I think you might mean CMS not CSS.

lljkk Wed 20-Apr-16 14:24:34

I don't actually know what CSS stands for, DH speaks in TLAs & then moans about them. confused

werenotreallyhere Wed 20-Apr-16 14:25:53

thanks mugslife, I'll give it a whirl, do I need my cv up to date first?

(And CSS makes sense, cascading style sheets, it's pretty big in web development at the moment :-))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now