Talk

Advanced search

Advice on jobs on the side

(5 Posts)
kirsty1callaghan Fri 18-Mar-16 17:25:09

Hi everyone,

I'm so stuck at finding the answers I need!

Basically I'm posting on behalf of my single mum friend who has a 1 year old baby.
She did a nail course a little while ago and wants to run a little business on the side of her part time job.

We started talking about doing a facebook page/website for her but now realised that the taxman would probably need to be informed?

The thing is though is that I don't see her making more than £50 a week from as she does still have a job so is it even relevant to the taxman?

She's also worried that she might lose child benefit if she declares it as a proper business when its really just a hobby until she goes back into full time work.

Is anyone in a similar boat? Some advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks xx

IceMaiden73 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:40:29

If she's doing it for money then it's a business, not a hobby and it will need to be declared to HMRC via an annual tax return

Gwenhwyfar Fri 18-Mar-16 20:46:50

Unfortunately, I think any money you earn has to be declared, even doing surveys online for 3 pound a go. I wonder how many people who babysit for a neighbour actually declare it though or whether some jobs are exempt. If she's on benefits, she'd have to declare it straight away, but I think that for the tax man it can retrospective, but keep all the receipts and double check.

IceMaiden73 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:16:58

There are no jobs that are exempt. All money earned would need to be declared, less any relevant expenses.

Agree though, I'm sure babysitters do not declare their income, though technically they should

Justjen2 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:46:03

They are right, all jobs need to be declared and she will need to register as self employed.

If she is looking for a second income I might have an opportunity that can help! Just message me for more details if u want. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now