Talk

Advanced search

Voluntary Class 2 national insurance payments?

(5 Posts)
5minutestobed Tue 01-Mar-16 20:26:29

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if its still possible to pay voluntary class 2 national insurance payments. I'm sure I had a letter last year asking me to pay £70odd for them but I've had nothing since. Do they still do it that way or has it changed? I could only find something on the yougov website about getting a bill in April is that right? I need to make sure I've paid enough to apply for maternity allowance. Thanks

5minutestobed Wed 02-Mar-16 20:37:41

Bump

TalkinPeace Thu 03-Mar-16 19:56:30

voluntary is called class 3 ....
www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-class-3-national-insurance/bank-details

Bragadocia Thu 03-Mar-16 20:01:02

They now want us to pay all our Class 2s at the end of the tax year, along with our income tax and Class 4s (I'm assuming you are self employed). I suppose that it means less administration for HMRC. I think the last request I had was in the early summer, but I'm not sure exactly. There was a letter saying that in future the payment would be collected when I do my tax return.

5minutestobed Fri 04-Mar-16 10:39:35

Yes sorry should have said, I'm self employed but don't earn enough to need to pay tax. I'm hoping to claim maternity allowance in May though so I need to gave paid enough national insurance contributions before then. You pay it in arrears don't you so if I pay it in April that will be from 2015-16 tax year? Is that right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now