Talk

Advanced search

Cloud based accounting software

(16 Posts)
lilydaisyrose Sat 13-Feb-16 18:50:21

I am in the process of buying a very small local publication and need to also purchase some accounting software - ideally cloud based.

I've looked into Sage & Quickbooks but am not sure what would be best. I just need to create invoices & statements for advertisers and note when payments received. I think that's all I need.

Do you have any (cheap if possible) recommendation/avoids please?

nannynick Sat 13-Feb-16 18:53:36

I am currently looking at QuickFile. You have reminded me actually that I need to have a play with it and see if it will do enough for what I want. It may be worth a look. www.quickfile.co.uk/

BananaramaLlama Sat 13-Feb-16 18:56:52

I use Kashflow and really like it

MrsPnut Sat 13-Feb-16 18:57:02

We are using Xero for a sports club I am finance director for. It's great for people who aren't accountants to understand and sending and inputting invoices is very easy.

As an accountant it took me a while to get used to it but I like being able to log in and check things without having to contact the staff or the bookkeeper. I also like the dashboard.

lilydaisyrose Sat 13-Feb-16 20:48:40

Thanks everyone - will research those suggested.

ClarkL Mon 15-Feb-16 13:37:32

My husband uses Xero but I use FreeAgent, I personally love it. Its also included as a perk with our bank account (Barclays) so it may be worth seeing if your bank account can offer anything, or my husband got a discount on the monthly Xero costs through his accountant.

The other thing to consider is what plugs in to them, so FreeAgent we use a CRM system and can do mailmerge's etc with bolt on products

Best bit for us for cloud over the likes of Sage is, no matter where we are we can log in and check, both can be syncronized to our bank accounts so the day after a payment arrives it registers. My Freeagent is set up to send a thank you email to people who have paid and chase those pesky late payments without me having to do anything.

Badbadbunny Mon 15-Feb-16 13:41:56

In my practice we'd be suggesting Kashflow for a business like yours. Clients tend to take to it very quickly due to ease of use and more importantly, errors are easy to correct. It's competitively priced too.

We'd suggest Quickbooks for a more complicated business and Freeagent for a more labour only based business such as consulting/freelancing. Both are more expensive, but have more features than Kashflow.

Sage is a pretty poor comparison so we don't use it at all. Xevo, Clearbooks, and Accounts Portal are all similar products, but we chose not to use any of those as the three we have chosen fill the needs and criteria of most of our small business clients.

lilydaisyrose Wed 17-Feb-16 18:06:16

Thank you so much everyone for the brilliant advice.

Stickerrocks Sat 20-Feb-16 17:20:08

Watch the price of QuickBooks. It looks very cheap I initially, but prices go up after the initial offer. Take a look at Xero.

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Thu 14-Apr-16 14:04:27

I'm looking into the same. Really useful info. I'm quite small scale so the £19+vat of free agent is a bit much.
I've tried using Wave as its free, but it seems a little buggy and I'm not totally convinced it will categorise my expenses right.

capsdeep Wed 27-Apr-16 09:11:12

Personally I have switched to www.capium.com which is better than other so if you need professional services they are there when you need them. So far been really impressed and consider it equal to FreeAgent and Xero which are both paid hosted account applications

Poledesign Thu 26-Jan-17 21:19:43

I use Kashflow. It's brilliant and cloud based. Very intuitive any easy to use. I can do my own book keeping and vat returns.

Sammysquiz Thu 26-Jan-17 23:00:11

I'm a bookkeeper and Xero is my preference. I find Quickbooks very slow, maybe it's my dodgy rural internet, but don't have the same problem with Xero.

There's a free one called Pandel (or something along those lines) which I've heard good things about but I haven't tried it yet.

Secretspillernamechange Thu 26-Jan-17 23:01:36

Another vote for Xero.

poochiepants Thu 26-Jan-17 23:06:29

Check what your accountant uses so that you have some synergy when the time comes for you to need their help.

poochiepants Thu 26-Jan-17 23:07:07

And my preference is Xero too.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now