Will my tax credits immediately stop if tax return is late?

(6 Posts)
fitforflighting Mon 04-Jan-16 23:04:04

Arghh my laptop went down in November taking all my records with it. I had my accounts on a usb but cannot find my utr or user ID amongst it. I asked HMRC for a copy of these in both November and December but have not received yet and am panicking!

Emmathebookkeeper Tue 05-Jan-16 08:45:57

Hi Fitforflighting,

Tax credits
Here is the link for general tax credit enquirers:
www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/tax-credits-enquiries

They should be able to put your mind at rest regarding any delays in receiving tax credits.

UTR & ID
Your UTR number will be on other HMRC correspondence, such as:

Your tax return
A Welcome to Self-Assessment letter (SA250)
Notice to File a Tax Return
Statement of Account
Payment Reminders

If it comes to it and you’ve lost your UTR number, your best option is to contact HMRC directly on 0300 200 3310.

You will need to pass a series of security checks to allow HMRC to confirm your identity. Once this has been done they will post your UTR number to you which can take up to 7 days. This is the only way HMRC will send your UTR number to you.

Hope this helps
Emma

Emmathebookkeeper Tue 05-Jan-16 08:50:15

Also a valuable lesson learned here, always backup your data.

Emmathebookkeeper Tue 05-Jan-16 08:58:05

In order to obtain your user ID you need your UTR number
Here is the link once you have found/received your UTR

online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/OSHGGIDInd

fitforflighting Tue 05-Jan-16 09:00:35

Thanks Emma,
I have no paper with it on as I always file online. I have contacted them twice for the UTR and still waiting.
I do always back up which is why I am completely baffled as to why I cannot find it on any of my back up disks gahh.

Emmathebookkeeper Tue 05-Jan-16 09:41:25

Might be time to move to the cloud! wink

Regarding your UTR, you should have received a welcome letter regardless of how you submit your tax return to HMRC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now