Talk

Advanced search

Do you provide constructive feedback to other freelancers?

(9 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 20-Dec-15 11:34:24

I used a copywriter in the summer. I wasn't happy with the output and a couple of other things (things she said to me etc). It wasn't all her fault though as I didn't provide enough of a brief I realise in retropspect.

In the end I decided to cut my losses and find someone else to edit what she'd done. As a re-edit from her still didn't work and she wanted more money for further work.

At the time I just paid her and left it.

Another freelancer did some stuff for me recently and was unreliable and didn't quite deliver what I'd expected. Again I just paid. I could use what they'd done, it was just a bit different.

Also my usually really good proofer missed a few things in a doc recently.

The copywriter has just been in touch asking if need any more help & happy Christmas etc.

It has just made me think - should I be giving these ppl feedback? I don't plan on using the first 2 again, so part of me thinks it is best to just leave these things.

The proofer is different as I plan to use her again as long as her usual level of service is resumed.

What do you do about other freelancers who don't quite deliver?

I should point out I have worked with lots of freelancers over the year and I am generally v happy with what they do. I am not finding fault with all!

Thanks

dogrilla Sun 03-Jan-16 20:43:26

I think if you plan to use someone again then point any mistakes in a 'oh, by the way, you missed the xxx, so can you just keep an eye out in future' kind of way. I always appreciate being told (nicely) and makes a decent freelancer up their game, I think.

Lancelottie Sun 03-Jan-16 20:49:18

Please tell your usual proofer what she missed! My favourite client always does this (in fact I have a file just for 'Comments from Jane' so I don't miss it twice.)

Sunshinemakesmehappy Sun 03-Jan-16 22:25:40

I would definitely give them feedback. As a freelancer I welcome feedback from my clients.If they are not happy with my work I would prefer to know how I could put it right for them.
If they don't plan on using me again it would help me know what to keep an eye on for future clients.
I agree with dogrilla it would help a decent freelancer up their game!

winkywinkola Sun 03-Jan-16 22:30:15

Definitely give honest feedback at the time. If the work isn't up to scratch then you must say so and why.

I don't imagine they are cheap either.

Wordsmith Thu 07-Jan-16 15:10:22

As a freelance writer I welcome feedback - positive and negative. It could be that your brief was 'off' a bit but it's the freelancer's job to make sure she/he understands exactly whet's required before starting work. I've sometimes been 'over briefed' (so much research and analysis and focus group feedback that the core idea and USP is swamped with detail) and woefully under-briefed (literally NO brief, I have to research it all myself.)

How the freelancer responds to constructive feedback could help you in the future, not just with choosing whether to use the freelancer again, but also how you brief them in future.

Take it from me, freelance writers know when they've done a bad job.

whatdoesittake48 Thu 07-Jan-16 15:26:14

Agree with above. Sometimes a poor brief or a lack of understanding can be enough to turn a good writer bad. I have had hundreds of happy clients and then the very occasional one who I simply don't click with. For Whatever reason no matter what I do I simply can't get it right for them.
So the writer you had may not need advice in a general sense but would probably welcome feedback from you on the points you raise. But don't tar all their work with the same brush.
I have been forced once or twice to tell a client I can't work with them because their style is too different from mine. But that can be hard to judge before the work is started.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 12-Jan-16 19:52:00

Thanks all, good advice.

I think my role in not briefing the copywriter well in the first instance held me back from saying anything. She may well realise what has happened when the work is out in the public domain and it clearly isn't hers.

And the 2nd, the outcome was ok and I didn't pay much for it etc.

I think I find receiving feedback (good & bad!) difficult, I cringe about giving it..but with the proofer I want to continue using her. So if I find stuff that she doesn't I will flag it up to her going forward.

Lancelottie Tue 12-Jan-16 23:03:54

Well, then, if you start by saying to her 'Your work is good and I want to continue using you, but there were a few things ...' I think she'll take it the right way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now