Talk

Advanced search

Childcare and freelance work

(6 Posts)
Cinnamon321 Thu 26-Nov-15 17:52:18

Hi all. I'm currently on mat leave and considering doing my day job on a freelance basis when I return to work to get flexibility - for example doing desk based work when my son isbin bed and making things easier for childcare pick ups. The work would involve some travel and meetings and some home based report writing. It might take me a while at first to get established.

I'm wondering how other freelancers make it work with childcare. I could possibly commit to two full days with childminder but it would be good to have additional childcare as and when. Childminders I have spoken to understandably need to have pretty fixed arrangements. Do self employed mums ever pool resources and look after each others children? Are there other options?

I'm interested to hear how others make this work. I'm a single parent BTW

Cinnamon321 Thu 26-Nov-15 17:53:13

Oh and in south east London

Tournesol Thu 26-Nov-15 17:58:10

It is a bit of difficult one. I have set three days of childcare and if I have a big deadline I tend to work all weekend and DH looks after the kids.

I personally could not find flexible enough childcare and also as it is so expensive it often made it not worth it.

Sorry not to be more helpful but I would imagine in London there might be freelance forums where people swap childcare? Or perhaps someone local has a nanny who you could borrow on an ad hoc basis.

eastwest Thu 26-Nov-15 17:58:49

I work freelance and from home. It is a computer-focused job (not IT, just spending a lot of time at the computer!). I would have found it very difficult without my parents nearby to babysit. Child (3) is in nursery currently 3 days total per week, parents do one day aprox per week babysitting. It is much easier when they are babies; as soon as they start wanting to move around, are less easily entertained etc., it gets more difficult. Pooling resources sounds like a good idea. A co-working space near me (Birmingham - Impact Hub) has been experimenting with a creche, I'm not sure how that has gone down but I expect very well! (I think it;s a brilliant idea).

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 26-Nov-15 18:07:59

I've started freelancing this year, but my children are older and both in primary school. I try and get most of my work done in school hours or after they've gone to bed.

Doesn't always work though, I failed to book the school holiday club in time last half term (had a major deadline in the middle of it). I had to cobble together a couple of days, which included DH leaving work early one day and a friend helping out on the other. It was a bit stressful at the time!

I have done reciprocal arrangements with friends in the past, it can work well but you have to agree up front how it's going to work.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 27-Nov-15 13:20:38

I pay for 4 days childcare. Not much flex around here and I need to be able to work etc. It is tough.

Do childcare swops in holidays sometimes. As that is more fun for the kids than going to a club - being with their mate etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now