Advanced search

Business address / domain address / insurance etc

(11 Posts)
2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Thu 22-Oct-15 18:31:30

I am a sole trader. My business is registered to my home address. I only do paperwork at home, I don't see clients. My web domain I had before starting the business and is registered as a personal one so isn't on Whois searches.
My house insurance doesn't have anything about business stuff on.
What do I need to do? I don't want to advertise my home address on anything, so prefer it not to show up on a Whois search for my domain. I don't have a postal address on marketing, but don't think I'll need to use it at all often for work.
Any advice on how to handle it?

TalkinPeece Thu 22-Oct-15 20:28:36

you have to have your address on any invoices
you can only claim expenses against tax if they come to the business address

I've worked from home for 18 years
its never been a hassle - my home details are probably all over the web

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Thu 22-Oct-15 21:24:31

Invoices do have the home address on and that's the registered address, so I don't think I'll have tax issues.

TalkinPeece Thu 22-Oct-15 21:27:32

I'm not clear what you are bothered about.
Your home address will show up on some things
not others
if the web site is non business, does it matter

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Thu 22-Oct-15 21:49:30

The website is my business website now. I bought the domain (it's just my name) years ago to use for personal purposes.

And isn't it the law I have an address on my website, now? I just feel uncomfortable with people being able to find my address that easily. Some clients I work with I wouldn't want knowing where I live!

TalkinPeece Thu 22-Oct-15 21:53:34

Its the law
people don't look

my home address is on DHs website
the enquiry page has our address at the bottom
most people have heard of Hampshire
and yet a good third of enquiries start with "where in the country are you"

those who want to find out will do so regardless
don't worry about it

if your clients are that nasty, change clients

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Fri 23-Oct-15 06:36:14

I teach adults. Sometimes on a private basis, in which case I'm not concerned about my address being public. Sometimes I'm working with people like an NHS rehabilitation centre where learners have some extreme MH difficulties. I'd prefer a quick google didn't show where I live...

TalkinPeece Fri 23-Oct-15 18:17:17

I'd suggest paying for a virtual PA / service address then
that then leads to a PO box number
that then leads to you
Go Ltd and get your registered office being at the firm of accountants - similar cost

has just spent the afternoon navigating adults MH social care and homelessness.... I understand

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Fri 23-Oct-15 19:23:14

Thanks for suggestions, I'll look into it. Sounds expensive though sad

TalkinPeece Fri 23-Oct-15 19:53:49

PM me with the first 4 digits of your postcode and I'll do a check : I have geeky friends "in the know"

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Fri 23-Oct-15 20:57:49

Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: