Talk

Advanced search

Professional Indemnity insurance

(4 Posts)
NotYouNaanBread Thu 06-Aug-15 11:00:22

Inspired by a thread below, I wanted to ask about PI insurance.

I am changing the nature of my business, and am now offering digital consultancy. Advice, strategy, implementation, simple (but gorgeous!) websites - predominantly aimed at lean start-ups and small businesses, although it's early days, so fluid. I am quite affordable, and will (I hope) save my clients a lot of money in the long term by getting them started off on the right foot.

But insurance. I do most of the work myself, and have a few freelancers who I give work out to. I have done up a quote on the AXA page and it's £15 a month (I said I was a marketing consultancy, which is close enough).

Can anybody tell me more about the need for this, and what I should be looking for?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 06-Aug-15 17:04:06

Might have been my thread....

My insurance is going to rise from c£160 a year to £500 thanks to declaring I work with other freelancers! I am going to shop around though.

Have no idea what we really need.

Not much help!

NotYouNaanBread Fri 07-Aug-15 11:04:07

Margo - yes, I think it was! My quote on AXA included me saying that I had 3 freelancers, if that's any help.

The sort of work I do... well, I can't imagine it costing anybody the sort of money they might sue me for if it didn't work out. It's not like installing boilers or something - it would be more like "oh, that brand identity turned out to be suboptimal" but then equally, my developer could leave a "hole" in a website that made payment information insecure. So...

I really want advice from somebody in our situation, not a professional body etc.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 14-Aug-15 08:35:02

Thanks for sharing.

I ended up going with Hiscox. They said freelancers I work with who do similar to what I do are covered under normal terms. I then talked about using web developers and it has been written in that I am an introducer.

I do need to make sure my clients have direct contracts with the web developers.

Was £225 for the yr. They offer 0% monthly payments too. They were v helpful on the phone unlike Simply Business. I guess the fact they are a insurance co not broker helps.

Hope you get it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now