Talk

Advanced search

ebay shop

(7 Posts)
penni00 Sun 19-Jul-15 16:53:23

Can opening an ebay shop really make you money. There seem to be very conflicting ideas on this. I m desperate to find something I can make money from working at home. Anyone have any experience of how successful ebay shops can or cannot be please?

It varies enormously and there is a huge amount of competition. I wouldn't want to set up any shop on ebay, but some people find it successful for what they do although I believe a lot of the more successful ones also have their own websites, other avenues etc.

What is it you want to sell? That's the starting point and what you need to think about to see whether it would work.

Also, what is your situation (including whether single and unemployed or not etc) and how much do you need to earn? That is something else important to consider. What's good for one isn't good for another.

penni00 Sun 19-Jul-15 22:30:09

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of doing silver jewellery cos a friend of mine had seen a good profit her friend has been making. This person has been getting many orders a week yet on this mumsnet there is a thread where 2 ladies have set up a silver ebay shop and i think it said they only had 2 orders in 4 months! I suppose this proves that it aint what you sell it s the way that you sell it! lol. I guess it s all about selecting the right stock and marketing well and this must be pretty variable , hence the huge success differences. I would like to be able to make at least a couple of hundred a month from it and also want to do the jewellery cos i don t drive so need light parcels to carry to post office and need small items to find room for the stock in my house

penni00 Sun 19-Jul-15 22:38:27

I really need to work from home and you may notice I ve asked a bookkeeping question too cos I m thinking of doing that as well as an ebay shop.

Ah, in that case A. there will be many people annoyed with that (cheap, mass produced jewellery sold on such places irritates the hell out of us gold and silversmiths, it cheapens the entire market!!!) B. You'll be lucky to make a few hundred a month from it. Very lucky.

Cheap mass produced jewellery is just that. It sells very cheaply and nobody goes to eBay for decent stuff, hence it will sell cheap. You will also be competing with many others selling the same stock as you.

There is hardly any marketing involved with eBay. It's about what you are selling and your prices, along with your feedback, not your marketing.

I would advise searching on eBay and looking at what is on there,how much it is going for and how regularly other sellers are getting sales. Not only looking at the sales but considering profit margins too. You could get 50 orders a week but still make little profit!

Bookeeping wise, if you have experience or any relevant qualifications, may be a good option. I don't know how one would go about that though.

What are your requirements and needs for working from home? As this may open up possibilities, ideas and cancel out other ideas

penni00 Mon 20-Jul-15 08:27:22

think i ll focus on the bookkeeping, thank you for your repliessmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now