Talk

Advanced search

Work/study FT from home? How do you organise your day?

(5 Posts)
cloudsandrain Sun 19-Jul-15 08:13:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cloudsandrain Sun 19-Jul-15 12:05:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I work from home, not study. I work from approx. 9:30 - 2:30, with a lunch and shower break built in at around 12:45!! I do sometimes have to do some shopping in that time or go to a meeting/appointment though which completely throws my routine and I'm left a little lost then. If I take breaks or go out to do something I'm gone and have to reorganise myself.

I do occasionally work very late at night/early mornings, usually stuff that needs to be done online -marketing,printing invoices, accounts or designing, I try to do as little as my productive work as possible at night as I'm a silversmith. Over the school holidays I need to do the majority of it at night though, which will be a pain. Ho hum!

I have to break down what I'm doing into grouped tasks, usually starting the morning with my favourite bit -piercing (sawing), or I can lose my way and get that 'ugh' feeling. Everything is then grouped into different tasks to get it done. If I didn't do it that way I'd end up taking forever and distracting myself (as I often do with the radio).

I do the housework either early morning or late evening! I have to do everything though as I'm single

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 19-Jul-15 22:04:40

I tend to work - for myself - 8 - 5.30 on my work days as that is when we have childcare for. I do things like unloading/loading the dishwasher & washing machine. DH is expected to help with it too when he is here. I am often out during the week at meetings, so I don't feel I have 36 hours of pure 'housebound'/no travel work to do. Even if I did, I am meant to be at home working and earning money not polishing the brass etc!

When DH occasionally works for home he isn't a whirlwind of housekeeping hmm, so I don't feel he can expect me to be!

I often work of an evening to catch up but also sometimes I find it hard to concentrate on billable stuff all day, so sometimes I need a break.

I try to work in 45 mins chunks and I find I seize up a bit shock if I sit too long in one place/position. So I generally break for a drink and do something housey quickly.

I occasionally go to the gym once a week during 'office hours' but that is instead of lunch break.

We have a cleaner every other week, so she does most of the main cleaning and I'd say we share the in-between stuff.

OP - can you do online shopping. It saves time and money and either of you can do it of an evening smile

museumum Mon 20-Jul-15 20:52:21

My days are all different. That's what I like. I try to fit in a run every second day. And my day is bookended by nursery runs at 9 and 5.
The rest depends on whether I have a big meaty task to get my teeth into or a load of smaller admin or emailing tasks.
I will usually load or unload the washing machine or dishwasher while making my lunch or boiling the kettle for a cuppa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now