Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to make money from typing these days? Or data entry?

(12 Posts)
fuzzpig Tue 14-Jul-15 23:57:48

My dad used to do this before he got into building databases, but it was 20 odd years ago so obviously it's very different now with computers being everywhere.

OTOH I have just got a little work arranged via family, typing somebody's book manuscript, as they don't have a computer. I'm really loving it (aside from the extra money of course, which is very useful as I can only physically manage PT in my day job).

But I'm not sure if there would be any point pursuing further work like this? I wouldn't know where to start, even if it were worth starting!

Grateful for any thoughts! smile

olgaga Wed 15-Jul-15 00:03:26

Watching with interest!

littone Wed 15-Jul-15 04:11:01

I have seen an advert on gumtree for typing up audio from end of rental house surveys. Drs and solicitors probably have a similar requirement. Not so sure with data entry as most jobs it would be entered as you go along rather than typed up later.

LionWings Fri 17-Jul-15 09:53:49

I've just started a thread about transcribing smile. There is work around but I'm finding it doesn't pay well. If you do a search on here there are some old threads with some advice...

Trills Fri 17-Jul-15 10:01:34

I doubt it.

A call centre full of data entry people in the Philippines will do the work just as quickly, more cheaply, and be reliably available when you want them.

Sorry.

HuckleberryMishMash Fri 17-Jul-15 10:03:46

I looked into it a few months ago but when I really looked at the pay on offer I realised that it just isn't worth it. For what you'd end up with after tax I reckon you'd be looking at roughly minimum wage unless you are really really quick.

It's not just about typing fast. They have specific instructions about formatting documents and it is that that takes the time.

LionWings Fri 17-Jul-15 10:27:12

Yeah minimum wage is what you can expect. And you work for yourself so no benefits. But the offset is that you can work it around kids and not pay for childcare. Which is handy because what you get paid doesn't cover it anyway.

fuzzpig Fri 17-Jul-15 11:23:50

Thanks all. smile

TBH I'm not fussed about how much it pays or benefits of employment, as I have a PT job anyway and get a good rate for music teaching too, so this'd just be a little extra IYSWIM. Also I have to spend a lot of time resting (and not sleeping... Damn brain) due to my health, but I get really bored, so something to focus on beyond books and telly would be good for my sanity even if not so much for my wallet. If that makes sense.

My Dad just used to advertise typing services (this was late 90s) but I guess that wouldn't work now anyway! Not like you can advertise on Facebook since if people are looking on there, they are very unlikely to need that sort of help grin

LionWings Fri 17-Jul-15 11:33:36

If it's research it can be interesting. If it's market research (groups) it can be bloody frustrating when they talk over each other and you have to try and sort it all out.

HuckleberryMishMash Fri 17-Jul-15 17:10:21

Have you thought about music proofreading Fuzzpig? If you're very musical (Grade 8+ / degree level) you could get paid double the hourly rate that typing would pay...

fuzzpig Fri 17-Jul-15 21:10:06

Crikey, I didn't even know that was a thing!? Sounds interesting!

fuzzpig Sat 18-Jul-15 07:41:52

Although I'm not quite good enough for that, sadly (only just getting back into playing and teaching properly after several years' break)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now