Talk

Advanced search

Do you like working from home?

(16 Posts)
FauxFox Tue 14-Jul-15 10:36:25

I freelance from home because it's good for the family/kids etc and usually I don't mind it but every so often I get really down about it - I don't see clients, hardly ever call them, all communication is via email and it's just lonely.

I'm not good at self motivating and much prefer working in a team and having a boss to impress.

I am not in a position to get a job as part time work would pay less than I can earn flexibly from home and a full time job would not fit around family commitments.

Feel a bit trapped by it all tbh.

Contraryish Tue 14-Jul-15 10:42:27

I love working from home for precisely the reasons you don't. Don't have to call people, don't have to answer to a boss. But I'm naturally a bit of a loner and I do have my husband working at home too.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 14-Jul-15 11:18:56

I hear your Faux. I purposely book meetings and attending networking meetings to get out. I also volunteered to become a trustee of a charity as it would involve meetings/seeing people.

Can you ring clients instead of emailing sometimes? You might need to be proactive.

When I first started out I attended a few local women's networking meetings and I got the sense the main motivation of attending was to develop a support network rather than selling. Could you attend one of those?

I have also tried to build up a network of people I share some stuff with.

I also found a 'buddy' via this board.

I think you need to create the opportunities....

FauxFox Tue 14-Jul-15 11:40:47

You're probably right Margo - I can't really call clients as the reason they like my work is that i'm proactive and don't need direction/support to generate the stuff they need. They are super busy and it's my job to reduce demands on their time really...

I have tried a few womens networking groups but didn't really like the ones I went to - people trying to sell me aloe vera etc and not really very 'upbeat'...I should probably try and find another one...

I do volunteer with a charity one evening a week and after school/weekends etc are fine it's just my job. I don't mind being on my own but there is no team, no colleagues, no social reward or place in a structure and I find it hard.

I should stop moaning really - am so lucky to be able to make money from home and do all the pick ups etc for the kids. sigh.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 14-Jul-15 12:11:44

Faux but I think the fact we are meant to feel like we have 'won the lottery'/'found the Holy Grail' of a flexible well paid employment 'solution' is also part of the problem. Lots of people assume how flexible and thus wonderful it is. Yes it can be, but I also give up evenings & weekends and get up at 5am to work, it is feast or famine and it is lonely...

You sound stuck in a rut. A quick solution is to find a better suited networking meeting assuming there are enough running in your area. Meetup.com is good but tends to be big City focused. I am in London and it is good for here.

I know some of the ladies gatherings can be a bit 'life coach/aloe vera' etc. Are there any gatherings for your profession rather than based on where you live?

What sort of work do you do? I have joined a charity comms freelancers FB group and someone on there kindly organised a get together, so online can go offline.

There is another thread running about procrastination. I suffer too. I try to focus on one client at a time (turning off email --and MN--), then have a break, then do more client work and then have a break etc.

Are there any development projects you want to do that you could do a little of each day? Write an ebook etc? Update website copy, add LinkedIn contacts etc...?

Bramshott Tue 14-Jul-15 12:18:58

Most of the time I love it, but there are times I definitely feel like you OP. That's part of the reason why I come on Mumsnet - to connect with people!

I think you have to try and build a small element of social interaction into each day - even if that's as simple as going to the post office.

FauxFox Tue 14-Jul-15 14:15:19

Thanks Margo and Bram - i will be glad of the flexibility again come the summer holidays in a couple of weeks i'm sure!

Loupee Tue 14-Jul-15 14:30:05

Yes, I feel the exact same. And people don't seem to realise there are downsides to working from home as well.
It can be really isolating and I do really need to make more of an effort to speak to actual humans!
All my work is online/virtual based and I only have one client!
I do appreciate how great I have it, but it really can suck sometimes as well

yearofthehorse Tue 14-Jul-15 16:36:25

After 4 years of working from home have had enough - have downscaled current job to 2 days and have taken another job for 3 days a week. I was so excited when I discovered I got it. My first thought was "Christmas Party", closely followed by "I won't be able to wear jeans every day".

porridgeandwasp Tue 14-Jul-15 18:20:06

I hear you OP. I work from home and I find it particularly hard in the winter. In the summer I can work with the doors open and listen to the birds singing. But I so miss the atmosphere of working in an office, I spent years working in a great industry - very sociable, laid back but professional - ultimately great fun!

With the arrival of children of course my priorities changed and becoming freelance and working from home was revolutionary after over 6 years of manic drop offs / pick ups and followed by a 1.5 hour commute. Hideous.

So yes this is preferable but it still doesn't make the days go any faster...I just wish I could have a bit of a chat with someone to break up the day rather than spending far too much time on MN and kidding myself that I'm actually working!

Hoppinggreen Wed 15-Jul-15 13:19:15

I life be it but I spend a lot of time on the phone at the mall meet so I get plenty of contact that way. Plus I speak to people at school twice a day on the school run and do activities/take the kids to things where I get contact too. All that and busy weekends means that sometimes I just want to be completely on my own and and quiet (sorry DH)
If I had to spend every day in an office with the same people I would go nuts!!

Hoppinggreen Wed 15-Jul-15 13:20:39

I love it and I spend a lot of time on the phone at the moment- no mall meets!!!!
Need an edit button

capercaillie Wed 15-Jul-15 13:25:01

I love it! I do spend a lot of time on email and Skype - most of my work involves communicating with people in other countries and it works well. Love the flexibility that comes from self-employment - although having emerged from full-time plus hours from April-June, I'm grateful to have slightly less on at the moment.

hambo Wed 15-Jul-15 13:30:51

I feel the same as you op....it is great for so many reasons but is isolating and can be hard to motivate myself....

hambo Wed 15-Jul-15 13:32:15

Plus no one believes I actually work!! Lots of school mums think I don't as I can turn up for all the events...they don't realise I will be at the kitchen table all evening catching up!!

FauxFox Wed 15-Jul-15 16:00:55

Glad it's not just me...feels so rude to be unsatisfied when i'm so lucky to have this situation really confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now