Talk

Advanced search

Accountant's letter of engagement query

(4 Posts)
mjnh12 Tue 30-Jun-15 15:11:44

Just received a new "letter of engagement" from my accountant. I've been with them for three years but have decided to do my own accounts next year.

I'm a landlord and used them at first as I had no clue. But this year I practically did my accounts myself - all the figures on the HMRC form were the same ones I had put together for him. Plus I've just found out about the 10% wear and tear allowance they failed to mention I could benefit from!

The engagement letter sets out their terms and says that if I don't return the letter signed in 14 days, they will take it that I agree to the terms!

What do I do? Do I have to stay with them? Is this just something they send to everyone in the hope that they will keep your business?

Should I write a letter saying that I no longer wish them to act for me?

planning Tue 30-Jun-15 22:51:38

Hi - yes write to them to formally tell them you do not wish to continue using their services & will therefore not be signing their Terms letter & get them to confirm, in writing, their acknowledgement of this. Hope that helps!

mjnh12 Wed 01-Jul-15 08:46:02

Thank you planning.

I will write a letter. I thought as much - I guess they're hoping clients will forget to respond and so "agree" to them carrying on doing my accounts.

emma123456 Sun 05-Jul-15 20:41:42

There are certain criteria for the wear and tear allowance. Make sure you are eligible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now