Talk

Advanced search

Disabled mum wants to take in peoples ironing to earn for her family

(6 Posts)
galazyace30 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:07:56

Hi all my name is Claire. I am a mother of 2 beautiful but hard work girls lol. aged 7 and 11. I have been with my partner 13 years and he works so hard for his family. I am sadly classed as disabled as I have a life long illness. however this also means employers wont take a second look as I never know what kind of day I will have.
However I want to contribute to our income doing busy peoples ironing when my pain levels aren't too bad. I actually enjoy ironing! I stick my box set on and do what needs to be done!!
I did say £10 a basket as I don't drive the person would need to drop off and collect. But I have been warned that there could be some confusion over basket sizes so yesterday I brought myself luggage scales and will price things by weight I think.
I am a total beginner so would appreciate ANY advice or feedback!
I do a friends ironing and she is more than happy with the results! I just want to feel useful instead of useless!!
Hope to hear from some new friends soon!!
Claire xx smile

TarquinMoriartyGruntfuttockII Mon 29-Jun-15 17:26:01

Bumping for the OP.

Lagoonablue Mon 29-Jun-15 17:28:23

The ironing lady I use charges by item. 65p and 75p for shirts. Duvet covers are £2. She collects and drops off though.

I would consider by item as May be easier. Good luck!

RedandYellow24 Mon 29-Jun-15 17:33:58

Could you set yourself an hourly rate? I think that's fairer both ways. Then if you get just loads fiddle shirts and buttons you may not earn much an hour. Plus I would know x basket of my normal stuff takes me say 2h so i would expect you to do normal speed rather than you telling me it took you 5. Just an idea

Rivercam Mon 29-Jun-15 17:37:14

I've been charged by the hour before.

Or why don't you have a basket by the door, so people can tip their washing in to it, to see if it's one basket worth or me. Once ironed, you can put the clothes back into cistomer's basket.

galazyace30 Tue 30-Jun-15 00:32:17

Thanks for the ideas guys x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now