Talk

Advanced search

Jewellery website opinion please!

(32 Posts)
Blueberry22 Wed 24-Jun-15 14:03:58

Hi, our jewellery website went live in March this year, its one I've done myself using WIX, so I know its not the greatest! - but we've actually only had 2 orders in 4 months. I appreciate that the photos are not as good as they could be and our products aren't expensive compared to other similar products online; we're actually selling ok on Facebook and we supply to two shops locally who have both made repeat orders from us so we know its not the products at fault....

My friend and I started our business in November 2014 so I'd love to know if there is something glaringly obvious as to why customers aren't ordering on the website and I'd also love to know what you think as I've never done this before. Many thanks for reading this!

Our website is www.tiamolotti.co.uk

PeterParkerSays Wed 24-Jun-15 14:14:01

Where does your site feature if people search for silver jewellery on Google? I did a search and found a page of results without finding your site.

Could you maybe add a few customer reviews onto the site to give an idea of why a product has been purchased - "I bought this bracelet for my niece's birthday..."

Cookiecake Wed 24-Jun-15 14:15:34

I would imagine that the reason for small amount of sales would be that your website just hasn't been found by people. With jewellary you are competing with many other online sellers. I guess the key is marketing the website, it's a question of numbers. The more people know about your site the more sales your likely to get.

I use google analytics with my site which is useful in seeing the amount of visitors and bounce rate. Maybe this could help you.

Cookiecake Wed 24-Jun-15 14:18:10

I don't think your website is too bad but with jewellary I am always skeptical that it is really silver. I think you definately need some testimonials and how can people pay? I personally wouldn't use a site like yours without PayPal.

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Wed 24-Jun-15 14:22:29

Are your silver items assayed? It would put me off buying silver if they werent.

I wouldnt believe they were actually silver and would assume they are the same as the chinese stuff on ebay?

Grumpyoldblonde Wed 24-Jun-15 14:24:06

It is just hard to find as there are so many other sites. Lovely bracelets though. Just check on your BOHO page, you have a bracelet called fuschi - Fuschia? sorry I notice small things like that! I would also add a page for customer reviews.

Blueberry22 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:26:27

Oh thank you for your messages! Its really helpful! I'll take all your comments on board and make some changes to the website.......... Thanks also for the spelling mistake! Yes, everything is 925 sterling silver and Paypal is the preferred method of payment - I will put the Paypal logo on. Its really hard to get rated on Google, I believe companies pay £thousands for that advantage, so thats a bit out of our league. I do use google analytics and we have around 60 hits a day sometimes but nobody buys! Hopefully with all your helpful suggestions this might improve. Thanks again!

Grumpyoldblonde Wed 24-Jun-15 19:40:23

Do you have a Facebook business page? You can link your website to that page, it just might give you more traffic

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 24-Jun-15 21:49:14

Your mobile site isn't great - the image files look different sizes and some of the icons sit over the images a little....if people are coming to your site from their Facebook app etc...

Kewcumber Wed 24-Jun-15 21:56:23

I'd add some photos with your rings and bracelets on real hands. Especially the rings.

I also think you need to not say 925 silver - you need to spell it out for the hard of thinking eg

"Why buy base metal when for the same price you can have real hallmarked silver?"

Don;t bother with the little bit on your name or where you are bluntly no-one cares (except your friends and family).

Customers reviews definitely.

Need to get your website out there. Local competitions on local websites to you? Link from Facebook. MN regular poster small business ad with a big push and discounts for MN'ers in the run up to CHristmasetc

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 24-Jun-15 21:57:19

But your products esp the silver braclets look good. Why do you 'lead' with the boho range? Could you have a home page that takes buyers off to their prefered type?

I like the silver 'plainer' ones but not really the boho ones. The boho ones on the home page might put me off.

Also why 925 Silver, is that refering to actual silver? Could the range be called something more aspirational?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 24-Jun-15 21:58:13

x-post with kew on the silver point

Blueberry22 Thu 25-Jun-15 10:46:44

Thank you everyone, really helpful comments - I'm working on them all!
Any more thoughts, please don't hesitate to let me know!
Re: real silver - the 925 sterling means its real silver and is hallmarked.
Its great to receive so many perceptions - thanks again.

RainbowFlutterby Thu 25-Jun-15 10:50:15

What's with the Facebook thing that I can't get rid of?

Kleptronic Thu 25-Jun-15 10:50:40

I'm going to look after work.

ishouldcocoa Thu 25-Jun-15 10:51:33

Maybe you are tweaking your website as I type, but the home page is not loading properly, and I have your FB page lodged in the middle of the screen?

From what I can see, the jewellery looks great!

PM me when you're sorted... I have birthday presents to buy...

ConcreteElephant Thu 25-Jun-15 10:58:26

I'm afraid the site doesn't load well at all on my phone so I can't really explore it - even if I found you on google I'd click away again straightaway.

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Thu 25-Jun-15 11:01:01

925 does not mean its hallmarked, if its hallmarked (assayed) you need to say this.

I personally have a 925 stamp (not that i have ever used it, as i only sell stuff that has been to the London Assay office) which means i could stamp any damn thing i like....

GemmaTeller Thu 25-Jun-15 11:04:59

Its really hard to get rated on Google, I believe companies pay £thousands for that advantage

I haven't paid anything and my website is on the front page of google for relevant searches, I worked on my seo, read through google guidelines, wrote relevant content, worked my social media etc.

Have you submitted your website to google, bing, yahoo etc? Have your pages been indexed?

GemmaTeller Thu 25-Jun-15 11:10:38

I cant find policies.

www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses/overview

namechanger1973 Thu 25-Jun-15 11:16:23

I have my own jewellery website - hence the name change!

1) It is way too amateur looking - get a marketing designer to redo the look of your website
2) Spelling mistakes - puts loads of people off, makes it look like a scam site - as does the title "925 Sterling Silver and Fashion Jewellery" sounds odd.
3) Have a look at www.feefo.com - well worth using them for reviews, costs £20 per month and they comply with all regulations
4) your site needs indexing
5) you need a mobile friendly site - I would say you have done as much as you can yourself and need to pay to get this right.
6) There are no dimensions, sizes, weights or anything to tell me if the bracelets would fit me (an adult) or a child, and very hard to tell from the styling.
7) To get traffic through the site you need to do some kind of web advertising, having tried many many things, Google Adwords works best, although if you have niche products look at Gemmatellers advice.
8) I echo the advice to hallmark everything! It gives buyers confidence.
9 ) Have a look at your competitors....
10) Having been where you are now, you really need to look at spending money on your site, design, advertising, copywriting to get anywhere.... it costs ££££ BUT we now have £3.1m turnover on our jewellery site. (£50k on the website, £10k on design, £300k per year on adwords) but we have built up to this over 9 years.

cakeaddict Thu 25-Jun-15 13:35:00

Just to add - I have never heard of 925 silver. It means nothing to me. You might know what it means, but your customers don't necessarily.

Also, your link to other pages at the bottom of the screen is very pale grey and almost missable. First time I looked I only saw a third of your stock because it wasn't clear there are more pages to scroll through...

Blueberry22 Fri 26-Jun-15 11:29:05

Thanks everyone, I have so much to do, but you're comments are extremely helpful. I wish we could afford a professional website!
I'll do as much as possible over the weekend. A million thankyou's for taking the time to help me! xx

Blueberry22 Fri 26-Jun-15 13:46:56

Hi namechanger1973, thanks for your valuable expertise, you're an inspiration to us! Where you really where we are now? I can't imagine having such a huge turnover - my goal is to be able to leave my full time job and make jewellery full time. Gosh we really need to work harder. I don't think our WIX site is ideal for our needs, maybe one day we'll make enough money to pay for a professional website.......x

When you say it's hallmarks,what do you mean? Do you have your own hallmark and send everything to the assay office to have your hallmark put on or is it just stamped 925 either by yourself or whoever you buy the beads from? If it's actually hallmarks you should mention it. Saying 925 silver says to me that it is not hallmarked and I personally wouldn't touch it,but I'm a jewellery designer and silversmith.

The mobile site isn't good. Check it out in the WIX editor.

Market,market,market. Think of what is unique and separates you from all the other online using the same beads making the same kinda thing.

Remove the 'no1 best seller, 2nd best seller, 3rd best seller, 4the best seller,5th best seller' stuff. It looks incredibly amateur and,apologies,daft and desperate. If you want to mark your best seller go ahead,but stick to that not listing numbers of the order of popularity!

Will take another look in a mo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now