Advanced search

When should I get the Self Assessment form for last year?

(4 Posts)
KirstyJC Sun 21-Jun-15 12:49:02

I started up a small business from home last tax year, informed HMRC that I was self employed and then received a letter from them shortly after, confirming they had the details and would send me the forms as and when necessary. I have not yet received anything, and the tax year ended in April - should I be concerned?

I did try and log onto the website to do it all electronically last year but then I lost the password and didn't ever get to use the activation code they sent. When I tried to speak so someone on the phone it was a nightmare finding a number to call, then I got passed through from person to person before I got through to someone who said they would send me a password reset. They didn't, they sent a new activation code which I couldn't use because I don't have a password. So, I gave up on the online thing and will be doing it on paper, which I prefer anyway.

This has left me worrying that they have tried to send me something via the website which I can't access as I never got it set up. I don't want to be late filing - I know I have got until end of October and there really isn't much to work out so it won't take long to do, but I am getting concerned that we are now over 2 months past the end of the tax year and I haven't got anything yet.

Does anyone who has been getting these before have any ideas of when they usually send them? Should I be doing anything?

Melonfool Wed 24-Jun-15 17:11:52

I think you have to request specifically to get paper versions, they assume all filing is online now so you'll need to ring them again. I think this is especially as you sort of registered online previously, so they won't send a paper version without you asking.

You can download and print the form here but beware that you may need extra sheets/sections, so check that early on:

Maryak78 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:36:24

You have plenty time to sort this, so no panic at all. I would suggest contacting a decent accountant to help. Should cost no more than £130 and they can get it sorted in a day for you.... I did it myself like that.

KirstyJC Sun 28-Jun-15 20:05:23

Thanks guys, I am not panicking but I think I need to give them a call to see what is going on. I don't want to pay an accountant as I can easily fill in the forms, I just need to get them! grin

My DBro has several businesses, although not in a self-employed capacity, and he does his online and says you get an email telling you they have sent you something, which I haven't got so I assume it is still in the works but then I need to check.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: