Any transcribers/audio typists out there? Do you use a foot pedal?

(16 Posts)
CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 13-May-15 12:28:48

I've been offered some audio transcription work and am looking to get a foot pedal. Having searched some threads on here it seems that not everyone uses one, but uses keyboard controls instead - is that right?

If you use a foot pedal, is there one that you'd recommend for plugging into a laptop?

Many thanks.

icedtea Wed 13-May-15 13:21:52

I use the Infinity USB food pedal. It costs about £47.95 from Amazon.

icedtea Wed 13-May-15 13:36:59

I should also add that a foot pedal is not strictly necessary but it does improve the turnover time.

Personally I've found that audio transcription is very hard work for very basic pay. I've only done it part time and am now planning to concentrate on my other work.

Grumpyoldblonde Wed 13-May-15 15:13:24

Hi,
I don't use a foot pedal, it is hard work but I charge a lot, so it is very worthwhile! I am easily distracted, all the work I do needs absolute concentration - I find having a radio on low in the background helps me focus or my mind starts wandering.

CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 13-May-15 17:01:54

Thank you for the replies. smile

iced I take it you're happy with the Infinity one?

Grumpy may I ask why you don't use one?

wordgirl Wed 13-May-15 17:05:51

I can't imagine not using a foot pedal. I used to have an Olympus foot pedal which was fine but wasn't compatible with Express Scribe which I now need for time stamping so I also use the Infinity one

brittanyfairies Wed 13-May-15 17:08:30

I use an infinity pedal too, but also use FTW transcriber rather than escribe. Better quality audio and much better for timestamp

gunnsgirl Wed 13-May-15 17:16:25

I couldn't imagine not using a foot pedal too. I'm using the Infinity one with Express Scribe.

Wordgirl can you talk me through how to do time stamping. I was doing it the old fashioned way, but there's a control+ way to do it isn't there. I didn't fathom it.

OP unless you use a footpedal to control speech it becomes very monotonous and time consuming. All very well trying to charge for extra time spent but there's a lot of competition out there, and you may not win repeat work. A footpedal is a necessary investment.

CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 13-May-15 17:25:16

This is great advice. Thank you!

wordgirl Wed 13-May-15 17:29:46

Gunnsgirl, I do ctrl/t then ctrl/v to time stamp. However I have just been inspired by brittanyfairies to download FTW so my days of using Express Scribe may be numbered!

CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 13-May-15 17:34:20

Does the headset you use make a great deal of difference to the clarity of the speech?

gunnsgirl Wed 13-May-15 22:58:51

Not really Crabby. I've even used £1 one out of Poundland before now. Express Scribe has a function where you can improve the clarity of audio, but there's only so much that can be done at the end of the day.

CrabbyTheCrabster Thu 14-May-15 09:35:31

Thanks gungirl. My main concern over whether I'll be able to do this competently is around making out the speech, especially in group interviews/focus groups when several people are speaking. I thought noise cancelling headphones might help but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

gunnsgirl Thu 14-May-15 12:07:07

There can be a lot of overtalking in focus groups. They're not my speciality as they can give me a migraine attack. However, most companies are happy for you to write [inaudible / overtalking] and give a time code. If they're that bad, no one could type them anyway and they need to get their facilitator to direct the speakers better.

I've had one recently which was awful. The facilitator told the group (London based plumbers) to ssshhhhh 21 times. What she should have done, was calm it down and then say, Martin, what do you think? Brian, what are your views.

There is a limit to what a transcriber can do. Probably best to take on 1:1 interviews if you can. To be honest I haven't found great improvements with expensive headphones. I'm doing fine with the under £10. Like I said Express Scribe has a feature to improve background noise - again with limitations. Clunking of cutlery in coffee shops amplifies greatly. I think most companies are aware of this now though. At the end of the day, it doesn't benefit them either if they send out inaudible files.

I may have some overflow work at the end of May - university research 1:1 interviews if you're up and running.

Grumpyoldblonde Thu 14-May-15 12:47:32

Crabby, to answer your question, I fell into transcribing by happy accident and at the time I had never even heard of pedals, I work for a film company from time to time and the audio they send me is extremely clear and professional, I find no problem clicking their links to slow the sound. It is not my main source of income but is the most lucrative (they have a big budget!)

CrabbyTheCrabster Thu 14-May-15 15:13:13

Yes please to the overflow work gunnsgirl!

Grumpy that makes sense. That company sound perfect; clear audio and big budget... what more could you ask for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now