Should I say something? WWYD...(7 Posts)
Would be interested in opinions pls...have changed/omitted a few details just in case it outs me.
I approached a fellow freelancer that I'd only come to know through social media last Tues. I said I have an opp. Would they be interested in coming into the proposal. I explained I would need their input Wed/Thurs/Fri for the proposal after I had spoken to the potential client as the potential client wanted it at the end of the week. We talked on the phone and they said yes.
I approached them as we are a niche together and I decided to take a risk in including somebody new.
I then drafted the proposal & sent first thing on Thursday, I'd highlighted where I needed their input. I said I need it back by Fri lunchtime, so I could finish it and send to the potential client by the end of Fri.
30 mins after the deadline I gave, I received a long email explaining why they wouldn't be the best fit for the proposal. This then left me with 3 hours to find somebody else to input.
As it was I decided to go without the additional quote and explained that would follow. Not ideal, but I didn't want to include the wrong person and I needed the time to finish the proposal.
As it was my proposal was too expensive for the potential client (even without the costs of the additional freelancer) so they have gone with the cheaper person. I do think it would have been helpful if I had included the 2nd cost, as they could have compared total to total. I was a lot more expensive, so maybe it was never on the cards...
Anyway, I dashed off an acknowledgement email back to the freelancer but I am sitting here thinking should I follow up and place their actions in context. I think they were v concerned about appearing noble/doing the right thing, what they haven't thought about was the impact that coming back with a No at such a late stage had...
So do I:
1) Contact them via email and explain it would have been helpful to have the no earlier. It was all tight, but they had said they'd be working on it on the Thurs evening, even a No message on Fri am would have been helpful.
2) Meet up (which we had planned to do anyway) and bring it up in person and make an assessment on them (for future projects) in person
3) Strike them off my list, I was clear, they are obviously lacking in business savvy or a small unkind bit of me wonders if there was interest in sabotaging my efforts.
As an aside I do find 'speaking up' in difficult situations difficult and it is something I am working on. I am feeling that I need to do something with my feelings about this (annoyance).
Thanks if you have read this far.
Ps. I will ensure I include a sentence like this going forward 'if you decide you cannot contribute to the proposal please let me know asap, so I can find a different freelancer"
3. Be polite but never work with them.
Just as with a personal relationship, they have shown you who they are. Listen.
Thanks both. I think so too.
She is a long established freelancer...I cannot shake the feeling that she would know better...
I would probably go with 3 as well - UNLESS - I thought I was likely to need her in future and that working with her would be beneficial. (Niche market, not many players, she might share her projects with you, you might need emergency cover if you suddenly can't do something perhaps?). In that case I might do 2
3. I've been burnt a couple of times by giving people the benefit of the doubt, now it's one strike and you're out.
Not advertising but can I point out that I'm VERY reliable!!!!
Joking aside though maybe we couid consider a MN Freelance group in case we need to call on other experts.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.