Advanced search

copyright and mileage questions

(3 Posts)
eatingallthebiscuits Sat 07-Feb-15 16:30:45

I think I have one hard question and one easy one:-)

Freelance trainer. Have been asked by client if they can share copyright in a training package I have created. They think this will work for both of us - if I have to leave before the training is completed (this is actually possible due to unusual circumstances), they can still roll out the programme, but I would be able to sell the training to other organisations.
I'm worried they would then be in a position to terminate me prematurely if they wanted to. So thought of having it in writing something like, they can share copyright if I choose to leave before completion. (They know I may have to leave early).
I realise I'm at risk of them terminating me early and delivering it inhouse.

It's tricky - would be grateful for any advice.

Second question, the easy one:-) how do I actually claim and record mileage? Is it as simple as keeping notes on dates/miles and claiming miles x 45p on self-assessment?

Sorry for the daft questions - many thanks in advance

FriendlyLadybird Tue 10-Feb-15 11:54:43

I don't see why they have to share copyright: you created the programme. They can still roll it out without you -- they just have to pay you for the licence to use it. I think what they're trying to do is get away with terminating your contract to deliver the programme and yet still use it -- without paying you.

So, I'd say an unequivocal 'no' to sharing the copyright. But do come up with a licence agreement and a cost that would make sure you are paid for having developed the programme, even if you don't deliver it.

eatingallthebiscuits Thu 12-Feb-15 17:29:54

Thanks, Ladybird. This is very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now