Talk

Advanced search

copyright and mileage questions

(3 Posts)
eatingallthebiscuits Sat 07-Feb-15 16:30:45

I think I have one hard question and one easy one:-)

Freelance trainer. Have been asked by client if they can share copyright in a training package I have created. They think this will work for both of us - if I have to leave before the training is completed (this is actually possible due to unusual circumstances), they can still roll out the programme, but I would be able to sell the training to other organisations.
I'm worried they would then be in a position to terminate me prematurely if they wanted to. So thought of having it in writing something like, they can share copyright if I choose to leave before completion. (They know I may have to leave early).
I realise I'm at risk of them terminating me early and delivering it inhouse.

It's tricky - would be grateful for any advice.

Second question, the easy one:-) how do I actually claim and record mileage? Is it as simple as keeping notes on dates/miles and claiming miles x 45p on self-assessment?

Sorry for the daft questions - many thanks in advance

FriendlyLadybird Tue 10-Feb-15 11:54:43

I don't see why they have to share copyright: you created the programme. They can still roll it out without you -- they just have to pay you for the licence to use it. I think what they're trying to do is get away with terminating your contract to deliver the programme and yet still use it -- without paying you.

So, I'd say an unequivocal 'no' to sharing the copyright. But do come up with a licence agreement and a cost that would make sure you are paid for having developed the programme, even if you don't deliver it.

eatingallthebiscuits Thu 12-Feb-15 17:29:54

Thanks, Ladybird. This is very helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: