Is anyone an online seller?

(13 Posts)
PeppermintLatte Fri 06-Feb-15 12:12:00

Hi,

Just being nosey as it's an area i'm interested in going down. Is anyone an online seller through Ebay/Facebook/Instagram or do you have your own website?

What kind of things do you sell (If you're happy to say) And do you feel it's worth it and you can make a viable living?

Any hints/tips for someone hoping to start off would be appreciated.

siep1 Sun 01-Mar-15 09:27:10

I have two sides of this, I myself work for a cosmetics company which is online/Facebook/instagram selling based in 2 weeks iv earnt £80 without really doing anything other than sharing pictures and writing posts about the products ingredients being all natural, my sister on law however makes hand crafted figures and also sells through Facebook ect we both make as little or as much as we want to and some months can be slow (Particularly after christmas) its great fun though and fits around looking after our kids, we also have the option of doing craft fairs too

I hope thats helped a little bit, if you would like to know anything else please PM me

smile

EddingtonTPindura2015 Wed 04-Mar-15 22:37:27

Lots of folks would love to generate income online from home. There are countless offers that you can take advantage of.

I quite like the network marketing business model (where companies seek to use independent distributors which is people just like you and me) over some other forms of advertising. I like to combine this with internet marketing it makes it it a formidable combination.

If you can write well, publish e-books and sell them online. In this way, you can share your expertise and make a bit of money.

You can earn money online by writing blog posts that other people will find interesting. See to it that you post about it regularly. Use social media websites to direct visitors to your website. You will be able to attract advertisers once it is popular. If a visitor to your blog clicks on an ad, you get a cut.

Use the Internet to make money off of your hobbies. For example, there are sites that "pay" you for searching, shopping or doing surveys. Redeem these points for gifts, gift cards for your favourite retailer, PayPal cash or prepaid Visa card. Swagbucks.com and Mypoints.com are just a few worth exploring.

Feel free to get in touch for more tips and advice.

EssCee Thu 05-Mar-15 21:31:17

Yes, I do. I have my own website, which has been running for 5 years now. I left my job to do it, and absolutely love it (at the moment). I do make a viable living from it, which is very fortunate.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 06-Mar-15 08:01:03

Sounds great, EssCee. Did you wait for your site to give you a decent return before leaving your job? Are you able to say what it s that you do/sell?

This is an option I'm looking into as well, OP, so I'm interested to see how others make this work.

pjsheridan Thu 12-Mar-15 10:24:28

Hi, my wife & I ran an online retail business for many years from home. We sold furniture & lighting using a direct website. There are lots of companies that host online shopping sites e.g. www.volusion.co.uk www.shopify.co.uk, www.bigcommerce.co.uk.

The costs for these is low (usually around US$20-$30 per month) and they provide you with lots of functionality. Many also have automatic links to ebay and amazon so you can list your products there as well. They all take credit card payments.

The main thing is not technology (although that can be daunting), but working out what you can sell, how you can source it and what you can sell it for. There is a lot of competition out there so you need to be able to compete with that.

I run an online retail workshop @ Enterprise Nation in central London, the next one is 13th May. I am also looking to run these elsewhere. If you want some advice message me directly, I'd be happy to give some free advice.

Peter.

jaciralima Thu 12-Mar-15 10:55:26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rn5Ux6VCgo&ab_channel=YatinFLP

i started my journey in network marketing just under 10 months ago whilst finishing my degree. i started panicking thinking i was going to be another statistic (unemployed graduate, dead broke, struggling to make ends meet as i have a 5 year old son) then i found a company called Forever Living. Established for over 35 years, they’re cash rich and hugely successful in one of the biggest growth industries of our time. Health & Wellness. They offered me the opportunity to start a ‘Business in a Box’ - a mini franchise under their umbrella and I quite seriously have never looked back

Determined to succeed – I am a winner – I set to work making this mini franchise business work for me and I turned my part-time, 12 hrs a week lifestyle franchise, into an attractive unimaginable life which is willable to my beautiful son and so forth forever, should anything happen to me. Wealth and peace of mind.

i can honestly say hand on heart that i never thought the industry was real and sustainable and the more i talk to people the more i find that is true but not of the industry but in fact of the companies. i believe that its not abut people recruiting you its about you recruiting a business thats right for you and your wants and needs because ultimately you want to use them and put your goals and dreams into a persons hands to help make it a reality and thats requires so much.

i don't believe in selling mascara, i don't believe in selling full stop i believe in helping people and putting out a product that really is life changing and knowing that it was me who helped someone come off medication or helped someone from having their home repossessed. I'm thankful that i can graduate this may and never have to look for a J.O.B and id say to you go for it.. there are over 200 companies in the world be wise delve into their background and what they offer don't jump in straight away be picky know what you want and who can best help you achieve that.

SORRY FOR THE LONG ESSAY CLEARLY IM PASSIONATE LOL

add me on facebook if you want to connect : jacira montana lima

all the best

BeSparkled Fri 13-Mar-15 13:28:34

I have my own event stationery company www.facebook.com/besparkleme
I run from facebook although I have a webpage but I've been so busy I haven't a chance to build the page
I do wedding stationery, christenings, engagements, naming ceremonies, baby showers, birthdays and funerals and all the accesories favours and bits you need to match. Like all businesses the first couple of years cost more than you earn to start with but I am building up to soon hopefully starting to earn. There are lots of other home run businesses so it's up to you to stand out, mine stands out as I provide top quality at affordable prices while keeping ALL my customers happy.

Selok Fri 13-Mar-15 16:45:06

I am just about to start an online business, still playing around setting up facebook, instagram, pinterest accounts whatever you think of. I did not realise how time consuming these are. My next step is having a website, could not decide yet which one to go with shopify - wordpress - woocommerce - big commerce. But I think I will try selling on amazon first, I am not so keen on ebay however I might give it it a go. I wish you luck and myself toosmile

Selok Fri 13-Mar-15 16:47:30

I am just about to start an online business, still playing around setting up facebook, instagram, pinterest accounts whatever you think of. I did not realise how time consuming these are. My next step is having a website, could not decide yet which one to go with shopify - wordpress - woocommerce - big commerce. But I think I will try selling on amazon first, I am not so keen on ebay however I might give it it a go. I wish you good luck and myself toosmile

HubertCumberdale Fri 13-Mar-15 16:51:57

If you are an artist you can use Society6 to sell your designs on mugs, tshirts etc or just as prints.

awebdesigner Tue 17-Mar-15 02:43:03

It really depends on what you want to sell and your target market. You also need to consider commissions and access to funds. Some market places can take up to 21 days to release funds. If you're drop shipping online then this may not be the best method. Also if you don't have a sizeable audience (e.g. email list or social media) then a platform like Amazon would be great. Selling on your own website is ultimately the best way to go but it may not be the best place to start.
Best wishes in your new venture.

waddawoo Tue 12-Jan-16 11:42:34

Hi Peter,

I came across your old post and would like to request some advice (if you are still offering) on earning an online income.
It would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now