Talk

Advanced search

Give me your best To Do list tips

(5 Posts)
newrecruit Sun 18-Jan-15 15:10:43

I'm completely disorganised - keep most things in my head but it's getting ridiculous. I've decided that I really need to try to be more organised.

I have a To Do List programme on my computer which I'm hoping will help me.

I can create projects and add things in there, I can also tag things with specific categories and set deadlines.

I'm worried I'm going to make it over complicated, over long or just incomprehensible. How do you organise yours? By time, by client, by task.

Do you have a completely separate personal list?

Help!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 18-Jan-15 19:35:10

I have one list which is freelance work & also personal. It is in a book. I prefer that to online. I take the book with me everywhere.

I break it down into headings. Under the headings I try to list a few actions. So not just "start project B", but "email client, contact supplier, set up contract "etc.

I losely follow 'Get Things Done', the main thing that stuck is the idea of breaking down what you need to do. It helps you decide what is next & move to action and can prevent things from becoming overwelming.

And review it daily. I get in trouble when I don't!

HTH

newrecruit Sun 18-Jan-15 21:17:58

That's really helpful thanks.

Yes, I think I need to break my projects down a little.

I get far too easily overwhelmed that things are going to take too long & I've only got an hour etc.

newrecruit Mon 19-Jan-15 13:46:44

This morning I wrote the world's longest to do list!

I've also watched the Getting Things Done Ted talk. This seems to be the way forward.

I have the Things app and this seems quite good for managing projects so will give it a whirl.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 19-Jan-15 19:58:37

Wow - go you! Hopefully it will help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: