Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth me going s/e?

(11 Posts)
WillWorkForMoney Tue 06-Jan-15 19:16:45

Dp has his own little gardening business, however he does not drive, so i drive him to/from jobs and i even help him if its an easy job. I also do the books (though I'm learning as i go) I do not get paid for this.

Dd3 is now nearly 5 and at school full time so technically i need a job, however if i get a job dp cannot do his and we're quite proud of our little business even if its not making masses of money we're managing.

So I was thinking how to proceed. Should i go self employed with 0 income? Should dp "employ" me? And if so how much does he have to pay me? As nmw would not be possible at the prices he is charging.

Any advice is great thanks.

WillWorkForMoney Tue 06-Jan-15 19:18:09

Oh and don't suggest for dp to learn to drive as its not a possibility. I think he's too scared.

atticusclaw Tue 06-Jan-15 19:20:26

you'd probably be better setting up as a limited company, both as directors and paying yourselves dividends (no NI) rather than being self employed but its impossible to say without knowing more details. I'd go to see a financial adviser/accountant.

WillWorkForMoney Tue 06-Jan-15 19:27:31

How much does one of those cost approx, dp only makes about 70-90 a week atm so not massive funds to pay out to people.

museumum Tue 06-Jan-15 20:10:57

Would it not make more sense to register as s/e and pay your NI and share the income from the work? If that's allowed it's probably most tax efficient.
I think you can get that kind of advice free from a govt agency - what country are you in? England?

museumum Tue 06-Jan-15 20:13:15

Lots to read: https://www.gov.uk/browse/business/setting-up

museumum Tue 06-Jan-15 20:15:15

Phone numbers to talk it through (free advice) https://www.gov.uk/business-support-helpline

YonicSleighdriver Tue 06-Jan-15 20:16:39

I would probably proceed as Atticus has laid out but there are plenty of info sites on the web.

WillWorkForMoney Tue 06-Jan-15 20:33:05

Yes I'm in England. I didnt realise there was free info hotlines so i will give it a ring in the next few days. Thanks very much.

YonicSleighdriver Tue 06-Jan-15 20:41:16

Bear in mind that the government and a tax-savvy accountant may give you different recommendations.

WillWorkForMoney Tue 06-Jan-15 21:00:46

I think i just need a push start. But i will bare that in mine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now