Talk

Advanced search

Best Lap Top to buy to write my novel...

(11 Posts)
JandLandG Sun 04-Jan-15 00:15:36

Hello there, and a very Happy New Year to all

My MacBookPro from 8/9 years ago is so rubbish and old now that I might buy a brand new lap top.

So what should I go for?

I seriously want to write a novel/film screenplay/crap poems about dissapointment and loss, but also use it for everyday stuff includng starting a new website for my revamped business.

Not games, not anything complicated, not for use by the kids, purely for grown up stuff.

Do I need an Apple? Nope.

What can I get that'll be good to write (type) on and run the business from?

All advice/thoughts/opinions and ideas very welcome.

Many thanks

Bumpetybumps Sun 04-Jan-15 09:46:48

Does it have to be a laptop? In our experience of both types of pcs, laptops eventually 'die' and have more problems.

butterflymacqueen Sun 04-Jan-15 20:39:16

I quite like the idea of the original typewriter- but that's just me- (there is something ''enduring'' about them)!

JandLandG Sun 04-Jan-15 22:25:10

Hey, thanks for these....yep, deffo a lap top...I travel around and need something portable....any thoughts, anyone?

Watching with interest. I'm after a very light laptop for similar reasons but don't think I can justify getting a MacBook Air.

JandLandG Sun 04-Jan-15 22:31:14

So, ATUA

what's the difference between a MacBookAir and a MacBookPro?

I might splash out, but I hate Apple's bloody rip-off ways

Er... Not sure! Think the air is a really light version.

JandLandG Mon 05-Jan-15 01:12:50

ok, so what i really want is a reliable lap top that is the best to type on.

and that already has word.

any thoughts, anyone?

how much does it cost to buy Word for Apple things?

x

hoedown Mon 05-Jan-15 09:27:49

I would say important things to consider are: screen size (if you are going to use it mainly for word processing I would go for a 15.6"), processor (read some bad reviews of Intel Celeron) and make sure it has a dvd drive (so you can add new programs directly onto your laptop).

With regards to MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook etc), you can use a free version online I think called Office 365 or something like that, or subscribe to a pay monthly version, or buy the disc yourself and upload to your laptop.

I have just replaced my laptop with one from the HP website. It has 15.6" screen, 4GB, 1TB storage and an Intel Pentium processor for £269 delivered. I work freelance on websites and admin and it is more than adequate for my needs.

hoedown Mon 05-Jan-15 09:30:37

Just checked and it is the HP- r101na. Still available to buy on HP website.

JandLandG Mon 05-Jan-15 14:58:06

Hoedown...will deffo check out. Thanks so much.

I need to pop into stores and see some myself, but excellent even just to pop some thoughts down here to clarify.

15in screen sounds big but will look into

269 certainly better than 899 Apple!

The tyranny of smoke and mirrors marketing.

And in amazed this crappy iPhone even let me type in criticism of its company!

I deffo need word.

Will look into buying but should be fine.

Excellent. Keep em coming, folks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now