Talk

Advanced search

Can I become self employed

(6 Posts)
scottishlass92 Tue 09-Dec-14 10:45:11

Hi all, I am currently employed as a Childminding Assistant by a childminder but I was wondering if I should/could become self employed? I was thinking of instead of working the hours she gives me (sometimes she needs me at the times and sometimes she needs me more) could I work the hours she needs me then invoice her at the end of the month?

The only think I am thinking of is that because I am not a fully qualified childminder would I be able to become SE?

I've tried to find things online but hopefully someone here would be able to make it easier for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hoppinggreen Tue 09-Dec-14 18:06:22

Unfortunately whether you are self employed is not just up to you and your " employer"
HMRC has certain criteria ( look online) that you have to fit and if you are doing the same job for the same person I am not sure if you can just decide to become self employed.

AlpacaLypse Tue 09-Dec-14 18:09:08

I think Hopping's right. All the people I have walking dogs for our agency are self-employed - but all of them have other work they do as well.

InfinitySeven Tue 09-Dec-14 18:12:58

No, because you're not well employed.

You'd need to be able to pick your own hours, among other things, and it's recommended that you work for multiple clients to stop HMRC getting suspicious.

Nothing about your set up sounds SE.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 13-Dec-14 00:41:55

If that's your only job and the variation in hours is set by her, then HMRC wouldn't see this as self-employed.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 13-Dec-14 00:43:01

Sorry, pressed too soon. Setting your own hours - so you are the one who decides if it's a little or a lot of hours every week - is the main criteria for being SE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now