Talk

Advanced search

starting a new business from home

(15 Posts)
laurahp Thu 27-Nov-14 16:09:06

hello everyone
I have just started my own business from home doing Beauty Therapy and Nails form my beauty room. I really need this to work as ive always wanted to be my own boss so thought id give it a go when my maternity ends. Has anyone done similar and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have put my name out there on a few free sites, purchased business cards and price lists and have my own website but im not sure where go next? if anyone would like to visit my page and give me some feedback www.laurasbeautyboutique.co.uk thank you xx

TalkinPeace Thu 27-Nov-14 21:53:47

where are you going to get your recommendations of customers from?
do you have existing clients?

twentyten Fri 28-Nov-14 22:40:01

Network network - get involved in local women's business groups.
Local charities- offer to do some linked to discounts? Refer a friend? Christmas vouchers?

twentyten Fri 28-Nov-14 22:42:35

Check your website. I not i. Consistent capitals.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 28-Nov-14 23:29:01

Do you have a local magazine near you? There's one in my area that has numerous classified ads in the back advertising local businesses, so that could be an idea to get your first clients if there's a mag like that near you.

You also need to think about what your USP is. There are so many beauty salons these days - what makes you different? Why would someone come to you rather than the salon down the road?

However initially your website needs quite a lot of work, with a logo, better layout and more imagery (shots of your salon, one of you on the 'about me' page, images of you doing treatments on clients etc). The copy needs rewriting with consistent grammar, better composition and more of a customer focus. Your main issue is you're running a salon in your home but haven't said where it is! Not even your town is mentioned, so if I find your site and I live in Bristol for instance, there's no way of knowing if you're near me or hundreds of miles way in Glasgow! I know you've only just launched your site but it needs an overhaul tbh, especially as reading between the lines, it seems to be your main promotional tool.

TittyBojangles Fri 28-Nov-14 23:42:26

I agree your website needs some serious work. Are you active on fb? Could you put some offers on your local sell and seek type pages? You need some examples of your work out there. I imagine that a lot of work in this type of business comes from word of mouth.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 01-Dec-14 19:36:58

You have got to say where you are! People google things like 'nails town name' - no-one is going to be able to find you. Agree local selling pages on Facebook might be a good place for you and I'd set up your one Facebook page too - start off with your friends then get some like and share giveaways going on to increase your reach.

321zerobaby Mon 01-Dec-14 19:46:29

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but from experience, I will say, be careful of nosey neighbours. Long story, and don't want to share all the details, but if you have a sole purpose room (e.g a room used for your beauty business and nothing else), the Valuation Officer from the Inland Revenue, has the power to come in and measure your room and charge you business rates per square foot.

So if its a bedroom for example, keep the bed in it. If its a dining room, keep the table and chairs in it, just show that the room is used for other things. Or if you do get the knock on the door, have the presence of mind to ask him to come back (they should give 24 hours notice) and then quickly change the room partially back.

TalkinPeace Mon 01-Dec-14 19:48:56

Where in the country are you?
It will help you get customers ....

SlimJiminy Wed 10-Dec-14 16:01:48

I think you should pay a professional to re-write your website. You don't have many pages, so it shouldn't cost a fortune, but it'll make a massive difference if you want to come across as really professional and not "having a go at nail stuff". Get some quotes from different copywriters and get that wording polished off nicely in the same way I expect you will with your clients' nails.

You should make sure you have the necessary insurance too. Public liability insurance in case anyone tries to sue you (for damage to their nails/body from products, for tripping over your carpet, etc):

www.confused.com/small-business-insurance/guides/understanding-public-liability-insurance

HellKitty Wed 10-Dec-14 16:11:20

Set up a separate FB for your business and nag your friends to 'like' it and promote it within their circles. Update with new photos of your/your clients nails regularly with a set price - or you'll be asked to do them cheaper or free. Theme around Christmas/holidays/engagement nails. Use your free and local paper, use notice boards in your local supermarkets, keep up to date with the latest style and fashions in nails - my pal retrained as a NT and is doing the same kind of advertising.

Try and keep your photos consistent, same pose, hands in the same place. It looks tidier on your FB page.

gunnsgirl Wed 10-Dec-14 16:20:29

Website is dreadful. Lack of consistency, punctuation, grammar, etc. If you wish to appear professional, you need to start here.

HellKitty Wed 10-Dec-14 16:23:10

I haven't seen the website but with small businesses like this your clients will need to be local so FB, imo, is the way to go.

mummylushes Sat 13-Dec-14 00:34:03

i don't think website is as bad as what people have said. I feel you should add a picture gallery to your website and add pictures of your work and beauty room work station etc on your website. You have pics on your fb page. watermark your images with laurasbeautyboutique your business name. You can use picasa which is free or an app on your phone if taken on mobile.

you can do an fb page ad and set it for your city and surrounding areas. say 2 days at £3 per day just to see if it works for you. your fb page has an "insights" tab that shows you if your audience is who you want.

also add a Testimonial section on your website - customers cab leave reviews as they have done on your fb page.

mummylushes Sat 13-Dec-14 00:36:14

have a look at other beauty people on fb. see how they do nail designs, what treatments are coming up and determine how you are different etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now