Advanced search

Do I get payslips if I work for a company as self-employed?

(14 Posts)
Kenza Sun 02-Nov-14 08:08:21

Hello everyone,

I would like to know the answer to the above question.
Would be a great help, thank you.

peggyundercrackers Sun 02-Nov-14 08:12:00

surely if your SE you invoice the company for your time then pay yourself from your company?

Boysandme Sun 02-Nov-14 08:14:20

If you are self-employed then you will not get payslips. Only employees get payslips.

As s/e you will invoice the customer and you will keep full accounts to do your tax return. I assume you have registered as self employed and are doing this?

Kenza Sun 02-Nov-14 10:18:30

Hello, thanks for your answers, I was now told by a friend that she does get payslips for her SE work.. I am really confused now.

A few years ago when I did not know much about regulations in the UK I registered as self-employed and worked for a pizza shop as a cleaner. I thought it was going under SE work but I did get payslips. But was I maybe an employee?

The reason why it is very important for me to know is because IF I was an employee I was supposed to apply for Worker`s Registartion Scheme. WRS under the EEA rule. This was a temporary measure done purely to keep count of the EU workers in the UK. It did not apply to SE people. So I never applied.

Now if I apply for UK residency and IF I was an employee I was breaking the law by not applying to WRS. (!) Someone suggested that this is the case for me.

BUT I did think I worked as self-employed. Done self-assessments, paid voluntary NI contributions, etc.

Unfortunately I am unable to ask the Pizza shop as they closed down and moved abroad.

Hope someone here can help.

Thank you very much.

Kenza Sun 02-Nov-14 10:19:45

Oh I forgot to add that I DID get payslips.

TalkinPeace Mon 03-Nov-14 16:44:24

Do you have your copy tax returns from then - that will show which boxes and references the income went down as

Kenza Mon 03-Nov-14 20:15:02

Oh thank you, how did I not think of that? smile

TalkinPeace Mon 03-Nov-14 20:42:20

lateral thinking accountant grin

Kenza Tue 04-Nov-14 10:27:47


TalkinPeace Tue 04-Nov-14 15:35:59

I regularly get clients in a flat spin panic about where to find information : thinking of other ways to get it is part of what they pay me for grin

Kenza Wed 05-Nov-14 10:24:07

smile) that is good.

Are you an accountant then, maybe you can help me out...

UniS Wed 05-Nov-14 10:28:13

You can be both self employed and an employee at the same time. Even for the same company , if you are working for them in different roles.
If you are being self employed you are paid when / after you send the customer and invoice. You are responsible for paying your own Tax and NI.
If you are employed you are paid by the employer and are given a pay slip detailing what you have been paid and what tax/ NI has been paid on your behalf.

Serena1979 Mon 17-Nov-14 11:28:45

I work for a chat line company as a freelancer myself. I don't get paper or email payslips but I have full online records of my payments made by the company with all of my hours and my gross payment. I have found that these have sufficed when it has come to declaring my taxes.

luvleigh27 Tue 01-Dec-15 13:43:49

Hi I have went from being employed from the city council to working for a single lady doing jobs every morning. But she has just informed me that I have to go self employed... I ddon't have a clue what to do now or where to start. It's only 16 hours and she will pay me monthly. Does anyone know if ican get payslips or Iinsurance I'm really stuck. Please help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: