Talk

Advanced search

Starting my own business

(3 Posts)
Myname11 Tue 10-Jun-14 09:29:32

Hi all

I recently took redundancy after 30 years of being a journalist. I have decided maybe it time to be my own boss.
I am thinking of running cooking classes from home to start with. I am originally from a Mediterranean country and have travelled extensively in that area and know that cuisine very well and cook it for my family and friends all the time.
I am in the process of thinking up the details, but would appreciate opinions on what courses would be most fun and beneficial and what audiences should I target.
My idea is to hold classes for teenagers heading to university. Many of my children's friends said they would love a few lessons in the basics of cooking, simple, affordable meals.
As well as that I thought to run classes for people who either have no time or would like to improve their skills and come up with new ideas to cook for their friends and family. I could also offer to help people with their dinner parties, cater for that or help out with ideas and the cooking.
I love cooking and I'm good at it. I also love throwing dinner parties and often have loads of people around my dining table.

The cuisine would be Mediterranean, healthy, easy and exciting food. Lebanese, Italian, Spanish and French.

How much would people be willing to pay let's say per hour? Does anybody know if I need a licence from my local council for that? I live in West London.

Be grateful for any advice and feedback, thanks.

mumminio Mon 21-Jul-14 22:09:01

Great idea for kids heading to University!

Could you also do a course for expecting parents, to give tips about how to prepare quick meals (prepping food at the weekend, simple healthy meals, etc. It could be sold as a gift for new parents to be.

Caveat: I don't live in your catchment area.

monausher111 Sun 28-Dec-14 16:10:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now