Talk

Advanced search

"In order for your business to be successful, you need to be happy to be out of your comfort zone." Agree?

(10 Posts)
Saffra Tue 01-Apr-14 16:01:40

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

I was reading a business book last night that suggested that you need to be happy with taking risk and being in your 'stretch' zone, if you are going to reach your ambitions with your business.

Is this true for you?

CommsWhizz Tue 01-Apr-14 16:47:34

Hmmmm, tricky one but I'd say it all depends on what your ambitions are, and how achievable they are.

I'll be honest, I'm not particularly comfortable with risk. With three children and a mortgage to pay, the idea of risk isn't that appealing. But, I'm also a firm believer that stretching yourself to achieve something that feels right just doesn't feel scary. It feels like a natural next step and incredibly exciting. I say this from experience. We're just about to take a leap into the unknown, and while it's a risk financially, and a risk to our family's security, it absolutely feels the right thing, the only thing, and so it doesn't feel that terrifying. Though maybe it should. Eeeek.

I think if you overstretch and step too far out of your comfort zone, you're in danger of floundering and losing your way. For me, I focus on what I know best, what I'm good at and what I can be really successful doing. This way, I know I'm confident in my abilities, I enjoy what I do and I can decide how, when and where I put myself to the test.

Good question though.

Hoppinggreen Tue 01-Apr-14 17:55:00

I don't think I really have a comfort zone as such.
If I am asked to do something I haven't done before I look into whether my past experience or skills means I will be able to do it and do it to a high enough standard.
I've actually done quite a few things ( including the job that kick started my whole business) that I mgt not have considered at first glance.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 01-Apr-14 23:31:25

Interesting.

Does it mean that realistically you cannot be great at every skill needed to run a business, so on some fronts you will need to challenge yourself?

I think if you want to grow beyond what you are achieving 'organically' then you will need to take some calculated risks to expand/make more money?

What book is it? I love a self help business book. We recently sorted out our book stash and had a clear out. However, my collection of 30+ self-help/business books is staying!

CommsWhizz Wed 02-Apr-14 09:56:44

Oh Margo, I hear you on the book front.

Saffra Wed 02-Apr-14 10:41:28

Pre-DD, I very much had a 'whatever it takes' mindset. I was willing to sacrifice things for the greater good of the business. But, with DD to consider now, I think I've changed. I've had to.

I have made some calculated risks recently (relatively small, not staked the house on it or anything!) but I wonder if my lower risk appetite impacts on where I want to be ultimately. I do have ambitions for the business, yet I don't want to lose out on more time with DD. It's a constant juggle!

MrsMargoLeadbetter - the book is called "Do It! or Ditch It" by Bev James. It was a gift from my sister who went to some personal coaching event, where these were either given out or being sold. Some of it is relevant to me, some not.

But, it was a good reminder that any business goes through peaks and troughs. Something that I need reminding on sometimes.

Plus, it has made me wonder if I need to spend more time on the business again, i.e. work FT.

Saffra Wed 02-Apr-14 10:44:53

MrsMargoLeadbetter - Ooh, what's your favourite business book?

CommsWhizz Wed 02-Apr-14 11:02:37

Saffra,

If it helps, your conundrum is also mine. I love my work and get a real thrill from growing it and producing great work for happy clients. I have high ambitions for what I want to achieve, but it doesn't sit easily with my other passion which is spending precious time with my children. Currently I work four days and am with my children three, which feels fairly balanced, but some weeks it's anything but when either the children or work desperately need extra time.

This whole working parent malarky isn't easy, is it?

WilsonFrickett Thu 03-Apr-14 15:04:51

I think it depends on your definition of success <pulls splinters out of bum>

TBH, if I compare having my own business to being employed, I can't say I'm in my comfort zone at all - having a guaranteed wage does that. Could I take more risks? Absolutely, but is the risk/reward ratio worth it? Not always.

Saffra Thu 03-Apr-14 16:32:11

"I think it depends on your definition of success"<--- yes, that's very true. Although I can't help thinking that having a business that fits into family lifestyle has been a bit too much of a compromise at times for me.

But, I just cannot imagine going back to being employed again either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now