Talk

Advanced search

E-news - do I allude to my 'break'?

(4 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 11-Mar-14 23:25:33

Hi all

Looking for opinions if I may.

I started writing an monthly e-news about 2 years ago. It was a way of disciplining myself to write blog posts, as 4 of them would be used in the e-news.

It worked really well until I fell pregnant with DC2 and felt rough for 9 months! During this time I failed to send it out a couple of times. My last e-news was in May last year.

I am now back working and need to start it up again. I am not sure if I should allude to my break? I am not massively comfortable mentioning mat leave. Even as a freelancer I feel some people have switched off when I mentioned the pregnancy etc.

I didn't mention anything before I stopped work just in case something went wrong, it would bad enough telling people you know etc

I have had it redesigned a little so I could just say "The new look Margo e-news" and leave it at that?

Being realistic I doubt my c500 mailing list will have really noticed I have disappeared for a bit, so maybe I just ignore the gap and carry on as normal.

Thoughts pls?

TIA

PermaShattered Wed 12-Mar-14 07:57:36

Personally, I'd mention it ("back after maternity break and raring to go" type of thing - but it depends on what industry you're in. I think people like to see the human behind the newsletter - and if I read something like what I typed earlier, I'd think 'oh how lovely THAT's why she's been quiet....."

Just a thought!

CommsWhizz Wed 12-Mar-14 12:34:27

Hey Margo,

Hmmm I know why it's a tricky one as it's the blurring of home and work, isn't it?

For me, I'd say it depends on the type of feel, tone and content to the e-news you put out. If it's quite personal with a warm, friendly, informal tone, absolutely I would mention it in the same way Perma suggests - quite jaunty and positive with a real go-go-go vibe. But, if it's not so personal and more formal or corporate, I'd be tempted to either gloss over the gap and just relaunch it with a new design, or say that you had to take a break from it to concentrate on other, more time-sensitive projects. They don't need to know that the projects involved puree, nappies and sniffing your little one's hair, do they?

Hope that helps?
CW

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 13-Mar-14 12:49:52

Hello

Thanks both for your thoughts. I do think I need to make it a bit more personal. A wise MNtter on here said to me it didn't have enough 'Margoness' when she looked at it for me, so maybe this could be the start!

I myself like the more personal emails that I read. I think I am worrying unnecessarily about exposing the fact I have uterus have had another baby!!

Thanks again, it helps to have somebody to bounce ideas off/ask opinions.

Cheers
MML

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: