Talk

Advanced search

E-news - do I allude to my 'break'?

(4 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 11-Mar-14 23:25:33

Hi all

Looking for opinions if I may.

I started writing an monthly e-news about 2 years ago. It was a way of disciplining myself to write blog posts, as 4 of them would be used in the e-news.

It worked really well until I fell pregnant with DC2 and felt rough for 9 months! During this time I failed to send it out a couple of times. My last e-news was in May last year.

I am now back working and need to start it up again. I am not sure if I should allude to my break? I am not massively comfortable mentioning mat leave. Even as a freelancer I feel some people have switched off when I mentioned the pregnancy etc.

I didn't mention anything before I stopped work just in case something went wrong, it would bad enough telling people you know etc

I have had it redesigned a little so I could just say "The new look Margo e-news" and leave it at that?

Being realistic I doubt my c500 mailing list will have really noticed I have disappeared for a bit, so maybe I just ignore the gap and carry on as normal.

Thoughts pls?

TIA

PermaShattered Wed 12-Mar-14 07:57:36

Personally, I'd mention it ("back after maternity break and raring to go" type of thing - but it depends on what industry you're in. I think people like to see the human behind the newsletter - and if I read something like what I typed earlier, I'd think 'oh how lovely THAT's why she's been quiet....."

Just a thought!

CommsWhizz Wed 12-Mar-14 12:34:27

Hey Margo,

Hmmm I know why it's a tricky one as it's the blurring of home and work, isn't it?

For me, I'd say it depends on the type of feel, tone and content to the e-news you put out. If it's quite personal with a warm, friendly, informal tone, absolutely I would mention it in the same way Perma suggests - quite jaunty and positive with a real go-go-go vibe. But, if it's not so personal and more formal or corporate, I'd be tempted to either gloss over the gap and just relaunch it with a new design, or say that you had to take a break from it to concentrate on other, more time-sensitive projects. They don't need to know that the projects involved puree, nappies and sniffing your little one's hair, do they?

Hope that helps?
CW

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 13-Mar-14 12:49:52

Hello

Thanks both for your thoughts. I do think I need to make it a bit more personal. A wise MNtter on here said to me it didn't have enough 'Margoness' when she looked at it for me, so maybe this could be the start!

I myself like the more personal emails that I read. I think I am worrying unnecessarily about exposing the fact I have uterus have had another baby!!

Thanks again, it helps to have somebody to bounce ideas off/ask opinions.

Cheers
MML

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now