Talk

Advanced search

any do PR? how long would this take you?

(9 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Tue 11-Mar-14 20:33:15

2 pre event press releases (one aimed at regional press and one for national) then 2 post event press releases. I will also need to attend The event to get some quotes. I'm thinking 5 hours as the press releases will need tweaking rather than 4 completely different ones. Is this reasonable? I've done similar work but this is my first proper PR job where I'm charging by the hour.

FriendlyLadybird Tue 11-Mar-14 21:13:45

I'd quote for a whole day, as you'll need to get approvals, do some to-ing and fro-ing and, presumably, distribution.

I have to say I wouldn't bother with post-event press releases, though. In my experience, journalists only want to know about things before the event. Why don't you just write one pre-event press release, and then use your time in actually calling and speaking to journalists, setting up interviews in advance, etc.

If you have to attend the event, don't forget to charge your time for that.

FiftyShadesOfGreen Tue 11-Mar-14 21:21:11

Too many press releases. Can you get quotes cleared before the event? Or speak to press now and arrange interviews with key spokespeople?

FiftyShadesOfGreen Tue 11-Mar-14 21:21:42

X post- sorry

TheMildManneredMilitant Tue 11-Mar-14 21:33:02

I think it depends more on what your employers expectations are to some extent and how much you think they will cover. Also how much you already know about the subject or are going to work around it. Ideally if I was doing this to secure press coverage it would probably take about 1.5 days plus event attendance to include all of the follow up to try and get journalists there and then the post event work to release with any images taken. IME post-event releases to any journalists that didn't attend can work, depending on the event and the type of media you're aiming for. I wouldn't bother sending a post event release to the local bbc radio but might to the local weekly/regional paper.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 12-Mar-14 08:41:27

Local paper requested post event piece - really they should call and do interviews but I used to work there so am writing a piece they can copy and paste. It's more about letting people know the event happened as you cannot just turn up and it's fully booked. I have one quote beforehand but wan't pictures for regional papers too.
The pre ones just have different intros as one is more serious in style for local BBC website.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 12-Mar-14 08:50:23

Thanks for your replies. I used to be a journalist so this is quite different do all advice is really helpful smile

PrincessScrumpy Wed 12-Mar-14 08:53:01

Want not wasn't

PrincessScrumpy Wed 12-Mar-14 09:23:36

Want not wasn't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now