Talk

Advanced search

Dodgy new client - worth it?

(10 Posts)
whatdoesittake48 Thu 06-Mar-14 17:09:58

I am a freelance writer - work from home. In the past few days I have picked up a new client and in the space of these last three days he has called me three times, texted me several times, sent me several emails - literally ranted down the phone at me swearing (effin and blinding...) about other writers he employed and how bad they were, sworn in his emails, accused me of spending my husbands money while I should be working (I think this was a joke) and told me my work wasn't right - but failed to tell me what he wanted coherently...

Now he has sent me another sweary email and insisted I write something for him tomorrow at short notice even though I am off.

I have sent an email asking him to stop swearing in emails as I find it unprofessional and that I will complete his work on Monday...

I think he uses these techniques to get what he wants. I bet he now thinks I am some princess with little woman sensibilities. I can't work with people I don't really like. but can't afford to turn down work either.

This one is a write off - isn't it?

newgirl Thu 06-Mar-14 17:12:49

Walk away!!

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 06-Mar-14 17:13:54

He will probably withhold your money as he will consider it pin money, and not a real wage. Go by your gut instincts, you will probably end up out of pocket with this one.

whatdoesittake48 Thu 06-Mar-14 17:24:22

I haven't heard from him since my email...perhaps to offended him. Doubt that is possible.

he described my husband as "the old man". Would hate to point out to him that I do this full time, earn good money and that my husband loves his feminist wife...

PermaShattered Thu 06-Mar-14 22:34:10

Good grief, that's awful. Drop him and avoid all contact in future or you will regret it . Any money you might get paid by him would not be worth the stress and worry this is/will put you under.

WilsonFrickett Fri 07-Mar-14 00:04:32

Do you know the best thing about being a freelance? You can walk away from shit like this. Walk away and don't look back.

Where did you find him, just out of interest?

GarthsUncle Fri 07-Mar-14 00:08:46

Don't walk, run.

And, since you earn good money, why are you even considering doing anything else?

whatdoesittake48 Mon 10-Mar-14 07:23:17

The client has been dismissed! I hate to turn down what would have been a regular writing gig - but this guy was horrible. I sent an email explaining I would not be completing any further work for him. I also wrote off the work completed so far - I could see that getting payment would be a nightmare too. Luckily it was only an hours work.

he found me on People per Hour.

I did however get an apology for the complaint about the swearing. sort of...

WilsonFrickett Mon 10-Mar-14 10:36:58

Ah, PPH. The home of people who believe it's your privilege to write their terrible blogs for no briefing and £7 per hour...

whatdoesittake48 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:19:18

Luckily I have built up a pretty good reputation on PPH and am one of their top sellers. This means I can legitimately ask for £20 an hour or more and get it. Took a while to get there though.

If used right, PPH and similar sites can launch a career, but you certainly need to dodge the time wasters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now