Talk

Advanced search

Distracted internet from doing work, any help?

(2 Posts)
homeworkerwithkids Thu 27-Feb-14 14:32:04

I wonder if anyone had any advice on blocking the internet. I work from home. The kids are a distraction but the internet is worse. Pathetic I know. It seems I'm not alone, so that makes me at least a little happy, although I found this story today when I should have been working! www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/10654987/Internet-fuels-procrastination-and-lowers-productivity.html

I'm not very technical, so not sure whether I should download the software mentioned in the piece. Had anyone used it: www.webtrate.com/

WilsonFrickett Thu 27-Feb-14 17:32:43

I can't block the internet because I often do need to fact-check something when I'm in the middle of work, but I've found the pomodoro app good. It's basically a 25 minute timer you download to your phone and I make a promise with myself that I will only work for the length of the timer, no internet or anything. Then when it buzzes, I can have a MN break.

25 mins is probably the max amount of time anyone in an office would go without a distraction is what I tell myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now