Advanced search

Qs about going SE

(7 Posts)
Seaofyou Sun 15-Sep-13 09:39:33

I am totally new to this and I have not even decided yet to even go SE.

I need to know all the upfront costs first etc.

I have found an office central location with shared waiting areas, receptionist and 24 hrs access and car parking space.

it mentions 'Tennet fees' though on top of rent? What are these?
Would I have to pay rent in advance annually or quartely? I am worried buisness wont take off or slow to start.

Will I need to take out insurance on property etc?

I will need insurance I found one place that will cover that but do mot know the fees as yet?

What else do I need to be aware of?

Advertising etc will cost more money again!

Oh I only want to work 2 days a week as I have job 3 days but it is the poor wages that is driving me to consider SE. But not sure if earnings v costs and VAT worth it?

Any help much appreciated


Lonecatwithkitten Sun 15-Sep-13 10:00:27

Could you not work from home initially saving the cost of an office?
If you did you would then be able to offset some of you electric etc. at home against tax?

Seaofyou Sun 15-Sep-13 18:03:25

No Lonecat wish I could but I cant as my SE work involves assessing and diagnosing certain health disorders and using my home is risky re confidentiality etc

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 15-Sep-13 18:17:01

Okay. You need to get detail breakdown of costs to be able to put those in to your business plan to cost your consults correctly.
I work in a medical field if your are storing data on a computer have you factored in registering for data protection. Also getting in place a really good firewall on your computer to protect the data.
Does this office allow to rent by the day or do you have to pay for the days you are not working? If you have to pay when empty are you allowed to sublet?

Seaofyou Sun 15-Sep-13 20:12:28

Thanks Lonecat. Good to have your experience for my Q! I have computer with software on for assessing. I will have to check what firewall protection it has. Is their a certain level of secuirty they expect. Everything will be on laptop. Any suggestions on firewall?

Good Q about only working 2 days a week and then subletting if needed. Shame I would have to pay for full week.

What detailed info will I need for the buisness plan?

Dies gov give any help? I'm in Wales.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 15-Sep-13 20:20:46

If you go to there are free business plan templates there showing you what you need to include. Going through all of this will help you think of costs you have not thought of.
It doesn't need to be a sophisticated firewall just prevent people hacking in, but make sure you are registered for data protection.
Advertising whilst expensive (eye wateringly so) in the phone book is best if you are a service that serves your local area.
Have you asked around local other health care providers to see if they have a room free on the days that you are looking for that you can rent. Joining in with someone else who offers and similar, but not the same service offers you an established client base.

Seaofyou Sun 15-Sep-13 21:02:00

flowers flowers [ flowers] Lonecat very helpful info esp data protection and gov buisness templates. I was going to ask charity that supports the condition. Hopefully can go on their website roo?

However this may be conflict as do assessments for NHS on 'employee days'. I might end up working at their offices on NHS dats?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now