Advanced search

As a sole trader - can I pay dh a wage?

(6 Posts)
TracyK Fri 21-Jun-13 12:22:41

dh was made redundant in March and so I have taken on a lot more work - probs putting me near the higher tax bracket.
I was thinking of training him to do some of my less complex clients.
If he registered as s/emp - could he invoice me and I pay him some of my fees? ie using up his tax allowance?

Talkinpeace Fri 21-Jun-13 14:14:31

yup - or make him a partner in the business, or make him an employee

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Fri 21-Jun-13 15:51:56

if you make him an employee you can pay him around £7500 and it will be tax free (for him) and it can offset against your profit this is what we do you will have to set up a PAYE but if you have an accountant they can do that for you

conorsrockers Fri 21-Jun-13 15:57:30

PAYE will be favourite. If he invoices you he will need to be invoicing other people - if you are the only person he works for HMRC will deem you to be his employer and that you are 'responsible' for him. As I understand it.

TracyK Fri 21-Jun-13 20:55:15

Thanks guys. I did think of the paye route. I'll incur er's Ni then wont I and a whole load of hassle each month?
He might be invoicing other stuff anyway to others - depends what he ends up doing.

Talkinpeace Fri 21-Jun-13 21:17:09

if he's PAYE, you can pay him 675 a month with no ERS NI this year
and next year when the £2000 ERS NI discount kicks in for small businesses you can pay him right up to the NI limit of £7745 with nil RTI returns

this forum is your friend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now