Advanced search

I need to file a zero tax return- it must be easy?

(9 Posts)
elemis Mon 10-Jun-13 16:32:06

I have an accountant, but they seem to charge for just a phone call and I have no spare money
I remember I started to file last years on line, but I got really confused and got the accountant to do it for me

Any tips?

ecokimbo Tue 11-Jun-13 10:02:45

Have you still got your log in details? You will need them. Filing online is very easy, providing you have all your figures to hand. Are you self employed? Don't forget also you will need any bank or building society interest figures
Make use of the little question mark icon at the side of the boxes to fill in..they are useful.

WilsonFrickett Tue 11-Jun-13 17:35:06

It's really easy. As eco says, you need to find your log-in details and pull together all your figures. You say a 'zero' return, does that mean you didn't earn anything in the last tax year? In which case it should be even easier. Have a search on here too there are loads of old threads (most of them dating from around tax deadline time wink)

elemis Tue 11-Jun-13 18:01:06

yes, nothing at all to declare
I was contracting, so that's why I had to open the Ltd Co, but did nothing last year

freelancenewbie Fri 14-Jun-13 18:04:34

Hi, just wondering if I too have to do this? Set up ltd co in Jan 2013, didn't trade until March & obviously didn't earn above tax threshold. Do I need to submit a return? Is there a deadline? My accountant is very unhelpful. To Do: get new accountant! Thanks.

elemis Fri 14-Jun-13 21:10:30

I'm not the expert, but when you set up the co, you will have to file a return usually within a year or so
It's not a national deadline, think its like an anniversary date, you should get a reminder

Talkinpeace Thu 20-Jun-13 22:40:28

companies do not have tax thresholds ....

elemis Fri 21-Jun-13 10:37:48

Not sure what that means?

Talkinpeace Fri 21-Jun-13 13:13:32

there is no tax free amount for a company.
if it makes £5 profit, it owes £1 tax

hopefully it will have paid the employees up to THEIR tax free allowances
but then it has traded and needs to file full iXBRL accounts with HMRC and Companies House.

your best bet is to pop over to the UK business forums and find an accountant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now