Talk

Advanced search

Juggling advice please!!

(10 Posts)
indigogirl66 Sun 26-May-13 19:47:23

I am a self-employed therapist but not yet back at work. My business has kept going with the help of a virtual PA and a team of self-employed associates. I hoped to have 9 months off, but at 5 months it's reached the point where I really need to go back as cracks are starting to show - highlighted by increased complaints and decreased revenue sad

My OH is also self-employed/newly graduated/career changing so his work hours are ad hoc but mainly evenings, though longer term he hopes to have a day job. So we are a bit up in the air at the moment. I'm really struggling to fit in proper work around the baby's naps/feeds (EBF) housework etc. My aim initially is to work 'on' the business and try to win some new clients/contracts etc. rather than working 'in' the business.

Do you guys who have done it before have any tips for me about how to plan my time, keep my energy up (so I can get things done when lo goes to bed instead of collapsing on the sofa every night). Also wondering how it will go if I need to have a meeting during the day?

Am I trying to do too much? Maybe I should just get a job...?

motherinferior Sun 26-May-13 19:52:28

One word: childcare.

You can't work without it. Either you're doing it or your partner is doing it, but you can't work 'around' a baby. You can 'get a bit of work done' but you can't do real work IME.

I worked four days a week, freelance, from when both of mine were four months old, btw. I do know what I am talking about.

CairoPrankster Sun 26-May-13 19:53:26

This may sound obvious but have you considered a child minder for a few hours a day? or a couple of days a week?

I have been building a business for the last year and there is no way I could work with my LO under my feet.

Having said that he does go to bed by seven every night so I do still have just about enough energy to do some work.

motherinferior Sun 26-May-13 19:55:38

And you certainly need to take housework out of the equation. You wouldn't run the Hoover round an office outside the house...

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 26-May-13 20:05:12

Sorry to hear you are having to go back to work earlier than planned. Especially as you seem like you'd set up a comprehensive sounding cover set-up.

I'd agree with Mother, childcare is key for me. The other option is just too stressful for me personally but I appreciate it costs money.

However, there was a thread on here a few months back (cannot link easily as on app on phone) and there were MNtters who'd managed without.

The key seemed to be planning for the nap/tv time (when older) and making up time of an evening. You should be able to do a couple of hours a day etc.

Could you not outsource business development? It sounds like it is "you" that is missing from the equation, so would it not be better for you to be back in the business? Appreciate that means going back to work before you'd planned.

Good luck.

motherinferior Sun 26-May-13 20:11:36

A couple of hours a day isn't work. It's also incredibly unpredictable. I couldn't demand that interviewees are only available during a specific slot, and be braced to end the call when the baby awakes unexpectedly. Or take on anything with a reasonable deadline.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 26-May-13 20:25:33

Mother I agree with you, but was presenting the "other way" which I have seen posted on this thread a number of times. Quick look for threads and I cannot see the one I was thinking about.

OP might only want to work a few hours a week initially, so a bit of time during the day and post bed time might be the only option.

motherinferior Sun 26-May-13 20:30:53

Oh yes, I do take your pointgrin it's just I do think it's a real trap to fall into !

FadBook Sun 26-May-13 20:39:56

Hire an apprentice doing a child care course? Employ him or her as a nanny and help them get trained. It will be flexible and relatively cheap.

WilsonFrickett Mon 27-May-13 17:30:30

If your main business issue atm is decreased revenue and complaints from the clients you already have I think that's where your focus should be atm. Use the little time you have to protect and grow your existing business. Business development can come later, or as Margo says, outsource business development. It sounds like being 'in' the business will be more predictable wrt hours too?

But childcare will need to be sought I'm afraid. Can your DH do days if he's working nights?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now