Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone give me advice about starting a crafting business?

(9 Posts)
Tallyra Thu 16-May-13 22:02:55

Hi, I'd like to get a bit of advice from anyone here please. I'm having a bit of a meltdown at the moment and would like to change the direction of my life... Is this worth doing?

I'm currently working as a school technician, on a pretty low wage and have just found out that my cushy little job is being mucked around with. Because of this I'm thinking of taking up the vocation I've been working towards for a while. I am not entirely sure it will work though.

I want to make quilted bags and other similar items. I know quilts take too long and no-one appreciates the amount of money they are worth, so I wanted to go with something smaller. I recently made myself a handbag and I've been complimented on it by many people and asked whether I sell them, and I think it might work.

Could you give me an idea about whether this might work? I don't make things very quickly yet, but if I were to do assembly line style, I could probably make quite a few a day.
Oh crap. Typing it like this I'm starting to get a bit worried that this isn't going to work.

My idea at the moment is to carry on working but also making stuff and seeing if I can find a good outlet for them. I have uploaded a few photos of stuff - what do you think? Am I just dreaming or might it work?

And thanks for looking!

HeathRobinson Thu 16-May-13 22:17:53

HeathRobinson Thu 16-May-13 22:18:53

I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Your purple bag is gorgeous! smile

Tallyra Thu 16-May-13 22:43:07

Thank you. It took me a couple of evenings to do but I could reduce that.

HeathRobinson Fri 17-May-13 01:14:52

What would you charge for the bags, do you think?

Maybe a place to start would be a craft fair - take along a quilt or two as well. Would be good as backdrops, if nothing else, and you could sell one/take orders.

crazy8 Fri 17-May-13 01:19:32

Tallyra

eland Fri 17-May-13 01:47:42

Have you looked at etsy?

Tallyra Fri 17-May-13 07:38:55

Yes, that would be an outlet I'd try, thank you.

Tallyra Fri 17-May-13 07:40:14

And I think I'd have to charge at least £25. Which seems ok to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now