Advanced search

Are these mags tax deductible?

(5 Posts)
Marwoir Tue 14-May-13 14:13:02

Bit new to freelance life and expenses but I'm a feature writer, can I claim for ordinary consumer magazines and newspapers? (I'm talking the likes of Good Housekeeping, not Construction Weekly)
I could argue that I wouldn't otherwise buy some of them, but obviously their intended purpose would be enjoyment.
Sodding things cost a fortune so would be very pleased if I could at least claim some of them!

Any advice most gratefully received. Ta.

lovefreelance Tue 14-May-13 16:02:56

I also need occasionally to buy magazines for my work and I claim them as a business expense. But your question got me thinking! This page says it's okay (just remember to keep your receipts):

To quote:

As a sole trader and self employed anything you buy for your business is considered an allowable expense. This includes things like:

Cost of goods bought for resale (stock)
Cost of equipment you need buy
Delivery charges
Heating and lighting in your business premises
Rent of your business premises
Relevant books and magazines
Bank charges
Telephone use
Bank charges on business accounts

What can't I claim?
Parking fines, speeding tickets and anything that isn’t related to running your business.

Marwoir Tue 14-May-13 16:14:41

Ooh, thanks for the link! Very helpful.
I shall continue to buy Small Furry Pets for 'business critical' reasons then. wink

lovefreelance Tue 14-May-13 16:41:23

Do you read it openly in public though?!!

WilsonFrickett Wed 15-May-13 22:29:01

Yep, allowable expenses. If there are ones you buy regularly though Id think about subscriptions - you usually get a discount and it's easier to keep track of half a dozen subscriptions than it is a hundred mags.

My first job was selling advertising for Builders Weekly. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: