Advanced search

Self assessment - what do I do if I paid someone to do some work?

(8 Posts)
thebestpossibletaste Tue 12-Mar-13 12:42:22

Grateful for advice smile

I am self employed but not long ago had a situation where too much work arrived at once and I passed some on to someone else to take care of for me. I invoiced for the work and then paid the person who helped me from my work bank account.

Is there somewhere on the self assessment form that I can enter these details without actually employing someone, i.e. on a one off basis? I don't want to pay tax on earnings that I actually didn't get to keep!


buildingmycorestrength Tue 12-Mar-13 13:32:58

Isn't that just an expense?

thebestpossibletaste Tue 12-Mar-13 14:00:46

I thought it might be but I'm not sure?

buildingmycorestrength Tue 12-Mar-13 14:44:46

I have to pay my accountant each year - this is just classed as a business expense. Paying someone to do something for you (or subcontracting) is just a business expense, I reckon.

BUT - I am not an accountant myself (sob) or I would know the proper definitive answer to this.

thebestpossibletaste Tue 12-Mar-13 15:04:12

Thanks :-)

emma123456 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:04:56

They should have issued you with an invoice. The invoice becomes your expense and is offset against the income.

AnimatedDad Mon 08-Apr-13 06:52:07

I think it comes under professional services an the assessment form.

Talkinpeace Wed 10-Apr-13 21:49:06

Were they employed or self employed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: