Advanced search

sudden stupid question re self-assessment

(5 Posts)
lingle Mon 28-Jan-13 17:46:22

If my tax year ends 5th April 2012, I submitted a bill on 1st April 2012 and it is paid on 7th April 2012, in which tax year is that money taxable? 2012-2013?

Previously I have done it in the year earned, even if that means apportioning bills between tax years.

Am a bit embarrassed so go easy!

MrAnchovy Mon 28-Jan-13 18:20:30

It depends on when you earned the income, which is not necessarily when you submitted the bill.

But from 2013/14 the Finance Bill 2013 is planned to provide that self employed people with turnover below £77,000 will be able to account according to when they receive and pay cash providing they follow certain rules.

lingle Mon 28-Jan-13 18:26:53

Ah - I charge purely per time spent and can invoice at any point after putting in the time.

I appreciate that when I submitted the bill is irrelevant - it's whether I have to tax this income for 2011-2012 despite it not being received until 2012-2013.

MrAnchovy Mon 28-Jan-13 19:06:13

Sorry I was a bit unclear.

Yes it has to be included in 2011/12 if you earned it in 2011/12, despite it not being received until 2012/13.

Correspondingly, if you were paid in 2011/12 for work you did not do until 2012/13 you do NOT have to account for it in 2011/12.

The date on the invoice is irrelevant.

lingle Mon 28-Jan-13 19:08:51

oh good thank you very much.

hurray, I have been doing it right after all.

I think I found some info online and didn't spot it was from the US.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now