Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WAH - family computer?

(10 Posts)
buildingmycorestrength Wed 02-Jan-13 22:16:50

Hi, I've been a freelancer working at home for years, always had my own computer. Kids are getting older now, need a computer for homework and fun.

My name instinct is to keep my computer for my use only...it just seems too risky when my whole livelihood is on there. I do use DropBox and so on, but still...

Friends are happy to do their work on a family computer, and just hope the kids don't accidentally email their boss or whatever.

Any thoughts?

buildingmycorestrength Wed 02-Jan-13 22:17:47

"My instinct"... where did 'name' come from? smile

UnrequitedSkink Wed 02-Jan-13 22:45:53

'Main' instinct maybe? smile

I'm with you, get them a cheap laptop to bugger up! The older they get the more they'll need access for school work and stuff, so you'll end up fighting for computer time, causing much bitterness and resentment.

MrAnchovy Thu 03-Jan-13 00:02:06

If your own computer is more than 3 years old it presumably has no commercial value so you can give it to the kids and buy a new one exclusively for the business; claim as Annual Investment Allowance.

HappyNewSkyebluesapphire Thu 03-Jan-13 00:07:06

I work at home and have a desktop and also a laptop for my mobile work.

DD 4yo is not allowed near either of them!

Avago Thu 03-Jan-13 10:37:09

You might be able to set up different accounts on the computer for the children - my DH has done this on the family mac so that all our photos and music etc stay safe - DC can't access that part. Doesn't stop it being physically at risk of knocks and spills etc but it helps. (We have separate laptops for our work anyway).

HappyNewSkyebluesapphire Thu 03-Jan-13 16:27:59

My DD knocked a glass of squash into my first laptop and killed it! so not allowed anywhere near now !

buildingmycorestrength Sat 05-Jan-13 17:38:51

Thanks everyone...sounds like I am not alone in being terrified! Will keep computers separate. Have different users for my tablet, but doesn't feel the same, somehow....

Tee2072 Mon 07-Jan-13 17:56:50

I would also recommend another back up along with Drop Box or similar.

I back up to a physical external hard drive that lives in a fireproof safe when not actually in use. It's 2 tetrabytes and was under £100. It's lasted me nearly 3 years and I'm a graphic artist so my back ups can be gigs of data.

I personally don't trust any cloud 100%. I like things nearby. grin

WilsonFrickett Mon 07-Jan-13 23:32:47

We have separate accounts, so DS can't do anything on my account on the pc. It's a proper PC too so no chance of it being dropped or anything, and he's not allowed drinks in the room. DH sorts out back-ups and that's his trade, and I have the laptop for emergencies (but hate the keyboard, like an old-fashioned clicky one).

That said DS is only 7 so no conflicts over computer use yet...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now